Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions Please: Grizzly vs. Harbor Frieght?

Opinions Please: Grizzly vs. Harbor Frieght?

I put this in off-topic because it has nothing to do with woodworking.

I am looking to buy a small milling machine and trying to decide whether to buy from Harbor Freight or Grizzly. I have never purchased anything from either, so I am interested in any comparisons between the general quality of machines and customer service of these two suppliers.

I have a local HF store who can special order a machine and the Grizzly showroom is about 2 hours drive.

Generally it appears that HF machines are less expensive, but wouldn't mind paying the extra at Grizzly if the quality and service is justified.

Opinions?

I avoid HF like the plague. They may have diamonds in the rough according to some, but I am totally unimpressed with them.

That being said, I haven't ordered anything from Grizzly. From what I have read on here, everybody says that the CS is excellent.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

I see HF milling machines on CraigsList all the time. That might be a cheap way to try one...

I have som HF gems. I have several Grizzly tools also. Grizzly gets a bad rep from a lot of people. Grizzly is right on par(or maybe better) with Jet, Delta, Steel City, etc. Like all companies, there are bound to be some duds in the lineup. You would be way better off with Grizzly in general.

I have no experience with milling machines, but based on my experience with HF and the reputation and experiences others have had with Grizzly, I would not hesitate to advise you to go with Grizzly. Very reasonably priced machinery of very high quality. HF is very inexpensive machinery very cheaply made. A milling machine is a piece of precision machinery, and I would place nothing from HF in that category - or almost - I have a set of HF digital calipers that have served me well
    --Steve--
    Support The Creek - click here

When milling metal the machine should be built strong enough to do the work you need to do. There are some very usable items sold by Harbor Freight but if you want or need a tool that will last and do the work you need Grizzly is probably the better choice.
    I have a small tool room mill made by Bridgeport that is well made, is probably at least 50 years old and is still working great. If you are planning on doing some serious and accurate metal working you may want to shop for a used Bridgeport mill. If you are planning on doing hobby work a Grizzly is fine. If you occasionally want to do some light metal work the HF mill may work for you.
    I am no precision machinist but my father and brother were and I have been around it most of my life.
    David B

Thanks for your thoughts.

The unit that caught my eye (in the HF store) is a #5980.

On the web site, the price is $599, but in the store they are $499, but I have a 20% coupon which brings it down to $399. With store pick-up there is no shipping charge. But it almost sound too good to be true with very sketchy specs (no HP ratings on the motors) and even the smallest Sherline and Taig mills go for twice that.

The closest thing Grizzly has is combo lathe G4015Z at $1150.

Hence the quandary. Perhaps I have no choice but to go look at the Grizzly.

Grizzly

While I don't know about milling machines, in woodworking tools Grizzly is by far the best value. In addition, if you read the tool tests in the mags, a number of times Grizzly wins it all, and almost always best value. The Grizzly tool I have now 555X bandsaw is very good. And, Grizzly customer service is outstanding; something to think about.

I have a hard time spending $400 on an item at HF. With that being said, 1/3 the cost of Grizzly makes you take a second look. I don't believe HF has enough precision to do metal work. Customer service is something else you have to consider. Grizzly has excellent customer. I am not sure about HF. I have always heard about how long it takes to get parts from HF. I think I would still stick with Grizzly. Have you look at Craig's List? I see mills come up every so often.

Thanks again for all the comments.

And for those suggesting CL, yes I have been checking there along with local new/used machinery dealers and only found stuff way out of my price range.

It's always a little inaccurate to generalize, but look at this way....HF has some functional tools, Grizzly has some excellent tools...I'd be far more comfortable buying a critical machine from Grizzly.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hardesty View Post

Opinions?
    Grizzly. No contest.

I've purchased lots of stuff from Grizzly, never a problem. But if ever there WAS a problem, I have no doubt in my mind that they would make it right. And if nothing else, Shiraz checks in here occasionally.

My mother in law has a neighbor who buys EVERYTHING at HF. He's constantly coming over to use my tools (particularly my tile saw) because his HF tools don't get the job done.

I, too, have heard there are "diamonds in the rough" from HF. But I don't gamble -- especially on quality tools.
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

Spend the two hours and make the drive to Grizzly after you have looked at the HF unit.
    Scott

Being cheap myself I know what you are going through.

Go to yahoo groups and do a search for metal working groups. A lot of guys with HF stuff that could get you first hand info.

My first thought would be HF is very good about returns. Buy it, try it, if you don't like you are not out any money. Like it, you saved a bunch of money.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Just checked each tool in your links.

The HF unit will not cut threads
    The Grizzly will.

Check your PM for a link to the Yahoo group.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale