Thread: Spray booth?

Spray booth?

I am in the process of putting together a bench top spay booth. I am a woodturner and don't need much space to spray my work. My question is where to get a blower to move most of the over spray outdoors through metal ductwork. I found this one, but it is a 12v model made for boats. It would be better if I could find one that is 110. Since this one is designed for taking gas fumes out of a boat bilge it would work for flamable finishes. I need a link to a source of a blower that would work. I found some for industrial use and they started at $900.00 way more than I want to spend on this.
    http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/pro...sp?prod=258926
    Thanks,
    Jack

Jack, I use to have one that was a blower from a wood stove....it looked similar to the one you posted and about 50 bucks
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

spray booth

Can't give you any leads, but be sure the motor is enclosed so as not to have sparks accessible to the spray fumes. VERY important. That's why there are motors made for spray booths. Not to say others won't work, but keep that in mind for your safety.

Jack,
    Whereas what Russ suggested is valid, I think that from a practical standpoint, any kind of blower that keeps the exhaust gas separate from the motor will work just fine. As long as you're pulling sufficient volume of air, all of the flammable vapors will remain in the plumbing until they exit the building. Provided you're not getting your fresh air from a window in close proximity to your exhaust, there's very little chance that it'll ignite, especially in a hobbyist application.

If you decide to spend big bucks on a something that is designed to operate in an environment filled with flammable vapors, don't forget to eliminate the light switches and compressors which aren't so designed and are pose similar ignition risks to regular motors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mincey View Post
    I am in the process of putting together a bench top spay booth. I am a woodturner and don't need much space to spray my work. My question is where to get a blower to move most of the over spray outdoors through metal ductwork. I found this one, but it is a 12v model made for boats. It would be better if I could find one that is 110. Since this one is designed for taking gas fumes out of a boat bilge it would work for flamable finishes. I need a link to a source of a blower that would work. I found some for industrial use and they started at $900.00 way more than I want to spend on this.
    http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/pro...sp?prod=258926
    Thanks,
    Jack
    How about something like this?

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...ber=4160Pmode=

I would think that any blower that does not use bleed or bypass air for cooling the motor would work. Just do not allow any contaminated air into the electrical components.