I was saddened to read Steve's thread a while back about considering giving it all up due to the general malaise in the market place. Since then I have been thinking about something that I have offered to one member on here and wonder how many others can do the same.

There is no better time than now to be able to offer a selection of products, processes or solutions to our clients needs. There is nothing worse than someone asking if you can supply them with a vinyl sign when you don't have a cutter and can't or are concerned about using your laser to cut it, and have them walk out of the door.

Likewise there is nothing nicer than being able to say, 'yes *we* can do that for you no problem. If you'd like to let me know what exactly it is you are wanting I'll get a quote sorted for you and ring you shortly with it.'

I am fortunate that I have a good few different processes available to me that I own. I have three flat presses, three mug presses, a mug oven, a small, medium and large format dye sub printer. I have an embroidery machine with cap attachments etc. I have a vinyl printer and cutter and a separate vinyl cutter plotter. I have the laser, and outside in the workshop I have a pad printing system and hot foil press - neither of which are being used. I also have a direct to garment printer for both black or white shirts.

I've been able to offer a Creek member the facility to 'sell' these items to any clients of his that ask. 'You want 10 mugs ? no problem' - in return I am gaining massive experience within the engraving industry.

It makes me wonder how many people are 'out there' who have a dye sub setup but would love to offer their clients an engraving service. Or how many can print tshirts but not offer keyrings.

By working together and establishing a trade price between you, it could help you broaden your scope quite dramatically and bring in money for doing nothing except taking an order.

Just a thought, but I wonder if it would be of value to pick up a local phone directory, the local advertising paper etc and ring a few 'printers' out there and ask a) what services they offer and b) if they would be interesting in networking services.

It's dreadful watching so many businesses crumble because of the financial climate, when working with someone you could potentially see as a rival could actually save both of you.

Ponder over lol