Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rob Cosman Hands On Seminar....

Rob Cosman Hands On Seminar....

Getting ready to head up to Calgary to attend Rob Cosman's hands on class Monday. He called today to check if I had any questions...we are going to start early on Monday...6:45 AM. Gary Benson a fellow creeker is attending and Gary Zimmel, (our resident dovetail expert) is going to "drop by" during the week! Should be a great time! Rob told me there are attendees from England and Spain attending as well!
    Hope to post some great pics!

Jim

Is it possible to have seminar envy? I think I have it . Sounds like a great time. Be sure and post some pics. I've heard he's a great teacher from Gary and others.

Congrats on a wonderful opportunity....and, you suck!!! From what I understand, you will be working your butt off daylight to dark, but I am betting you will love every minute. Wish I could swing that. Rob is a great guy and apparently a superb teacher.

I second John's reply you SUCK!

I have held off sharpening any of my chisels or plane blades since we spend most of the first day sharpening the Rob Cosman way...I purchased a LN 5 1/2 a few months ago and will be giving it a workout along with my LN 7....probably should have been lifting weights for the past several months to get in shape!

Jim, I do a variety of exercises each morning, and it amazed me how sore I got when I used handplanes recently during the weekend. The thing that got me were my elbows - nearly like tendonitis.

It went away quickly, but I think planing uses a whole different set of muscles. I am sure true Neanders get used to it, but it kicked my butt pretty good! I tried to use my legs as much as possible, but my technique is obviously not the best.

Just take a bunch of Advil with you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
    I have held off sharpening any of my chisels or plane blades since we spend most of the first day sharpening the Rob Cosman way...I purchased a LN 5 1/2 a few months ago and will be giving it a workout along with my LN 7....probably should have been lifting weights for the past several months to get in shape!
    Yeah, I second John's thought - but the heck with advil, get your Doc to call in a scrip for something better. From what I've seen of Rob on his videos, the guy's young and in-shape, and I've no doubt he'd run most of us in the over-40 set into the ground on a 5 day class!

Given that it is 5 days, maybe we will be in better shape by the end? That is, if we survive. I bought a Stanley tool box with wheels from the Depot and packed it up. Weighed in at 64 pounds, no big deal I thought. Checked United's website, $125 each way!!!! Took my #4 1/2 and #7 out, now weighs 49.2. Plan to pack light when it comes to clothes anyway (you know, 6 days=6 t-shirts, 6 pairs of underwear, 6 pairs of socks, tooth brush), plan to wrap the planes very well and put them in my other luggage checked bag. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    Can't wait, plan to post pics,
    Gary

Good to see a couple of Creekers are going to Robs course.
    The days are long and the feet get sore.
    But one learns a ton in 5 days. More than a ton......
    When I took his first couse we had over 60 hours of shop time in 5 days.

Looking forward to a Creeker visit next week.
    And seeing those first hand cut dovetails next Wed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Benson View Post
    (you know, 6 days=6 t-shirts, 6 pairs of underwear, 6 pairs of socks....
    You city guys....just not sure Everybody knows you can get 4 days out of a pair of undershorts - front, back, inside, out..... And, socks, at least 2 days!!

Come on Gary, you can pack lighter than that!! Tools are more important than a clean change of underwear!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Benson View Post
    (you know, 6 days=6 t-shirts, 6 pairs of underwear, 6 pairs of socks, tooth brush)
    No pants???
    You do understand we're not actual neanderthals here, right??

I am jealous. I would love to go to his week long course. I hope everyone going learns a lot and has a lot of fun.

Good Luck

Take a stab at sharpening all your tools. Sit down whenever possible. Take a bottle of pain killers with you. That Cosman is like the energizer bunny. Take alot of notes you can't possible remember all he has to say. Take a camera. Forget about calling it a vacation it's really a bootcamp. Have fun and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nardi View Post
    ......it's really a bootcamp. Have fun and good luck.
    I'm not sure the term "oxymoron applies to complete phrases.....but, if it did......

We said pretty much the same thing when all three of our boys headed off to the military..."have fun, and, oh yeah! Good luck!"

Energizer bunny, boot camp, no pants.....
    Now I'm getting worried.
    Gary