Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No safety brake on bad saw? How come?

No safety brake on bad saw? How come?

I've a new Grizzly 17 inch band saw. I love it! However, I found it a bit disconcerting to watch the blade continue to run through the guides for about seven seconds after cutting the power.

I've no doubt whatsoever that it is the inertia of a huge armature on that 2 hp motor that causes it to continue after shut off.

The blade on my De Walt radial has an auto brake that stops it almost immediately so I know such devices are possible.

Does anyone know of a method for retrofitting an auto brake feature on the motor armature?

Thanks

Art

Before you bought, you did notice that they make models with foot brakes as well as electronic motor braking, right?

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    My BS has a foot brake but I rarely ever use it. I’m the only one working in the shop and I figure a coast to stop is easier on the bearings. I guess it just doesn’t bother me that it’ll take 10 or 15 seconds to coast to a stop.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

My bandsaw has a foot brake on it. Sometimes I use it; sometimes I don't. It depends on what I'm cutting and where my hands are at the end of the cut.

I was unaware that you could buy b/s with electronic brakes.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Art Bianconi View Post

The blade on my De Walt radial has an auto brake that stops it almost immediately so I know such devices are possible.
    Art
    Really? The blade on my DeWalt RAS continues to spin for 3min 45seconds after i shut it off. Must be pre-braking?

My slot mortiser has a breaking motor, shut it off and it stops dead in a blink. A new panel saw at work stops a full dado stack before I can count to two. I didn't know they had a BS with that capability.

Neither my 14" Jet or 18" Jet bandsaw's have brakes and I don't see it as a major detraction. For that matter my tablesaw doesn't either...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Really? The blade on my DeWalt RAS continues to spin for 3min 45seconds after i shut it off. Must be pre-braking?

My slot mortiser has a breaking motor, shut it off and it stops dead in a blink. A new panel saw at work stops a full dado stack before I can count to two. I didn't know they had a BS with that capability.
    I have a Dewalt RAS with a break that doesn't work. I was thinking I could add a disk brake from a bicycle if it bothered me. I could not find replacement parts anywhere.
    Scott

Hi Art, my band saw runs for a long time during coast down, it certainly wouldn't meet the EU safety requirements.

If I purchased a new band saw, I would get one with a mechanical or electric brake.

I have to admit however that I haven't needed such a device in an emergency situation yet.

Regards, Rod.

I fail to see the problem. My old 14" Delta takes longer than that to stop.

You can always keep a block of scrap wood nearby to slow the blade. Grizzly offers models with and without the foot brake.

A real brake is a nice feature since you can stop the band quicker to make a change, etc. Grizzly's brake found on models like the Ultimate 17" is designed to be used "only in emergency situations", which is only marginally useful.

7 seconds isn't a long spin down time though. Gotta be careful of it, but not too annoying.

Really? Only for emergencies? I am pretty sure they do not mention that in their catalog. That would appear to be a bit misleading on their part. I was in fact leaning towards the 17 Ultimate because of the brake (I have since bought a different saw).

Thanks for filling us in.

Mike

Yeah, it's right in the manual:
    http://grizzly.com/images/manuals/g0636x_m.pdf#page=31

If the rest of the works are as cheesy as the pedal, you can see why they don't want you to use it often.

Mine (old iron) has a pedal next to the floor that you can step on from the front or side of the machine with your heel on the floor. If you have a choice, that's really how you want it.

Pete

My G0513x2 spins for a lot longer than that. It's never been a problem for me.

Although a brake sounds like a nice feature, it's not something that I've missed or needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Bianconi View Post
    I've no doubt whatsoever that it is the inertia of a huge armature on that 2 hp motor that causes it to continue after shut off.
    Not the inertia of the cast iron wheels?

Anyway, I'm in the so what? camp. You're done with the saw, turn it off and walk away, right? Table saw, jointer, planer, band saw... I've never owned any with auto brakes.