Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on Combination machine purchase

Poor mans woodworking shop

Steve, just checked out your gallery with pics of your shop.

Two comments:

First - Sorry to see you have such an ordinary hand plane collection. Did you lose count at 500??

Second - Any bandsaw with a wheel diameter so large that you need to install chain link fencing as a protective guard is just too cool for words!!!!!

That is all........

Regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Harden View Post
    Steve, just checked out your gallery with pics of your shop.

Two comments:

First - Sorry to see you have such an ordinary hand plane collection. Did you lose count at 500??

Second - Any bandsaw with a wheel diameter so large that you need to install chain link fencing as a protective guard is just too cool for words!!!!!

That is all........

Regards,

John
    LOL! Not quite 500 planes yet, but they keep multiplying, and I like the chain link fence idea. Might hang some on the little Delta so it fits in better!

The variable speed feature sure sounds sweet!

I am sure it isn't a problem, but something to keep in mind as you slow down the speed... any internal fans on the motors slow as well, but the heat generated by the motor doesn't drop proportionally. And a router bit designer that I talked to (about using router bits at a mere 10,000 rpm on a shaper) was worried about overheating the bits, even with slower feed speed, since the design is to get rid of much of the heat by throwing the chips, and the chips don't carry the heat away as well at a lower speed. I would assume that the slower chip throwing applies to all cutters.

With a light router bit running at 22,000 rpm instead of the 15,000 design speed of the spindle, it would be interesting to calculate the load on the bearing with the cutter working more efficiently at the higher speed. It might even be less????

Steve,

What are you doing in my shop? Jeez, that's a beautiful Oliver 36" bandsaw. You have a wonderful shop, room to move around, a truly
    great mix of machinery and I just love the hand plane collection. Are they all Stanley's or do you have a mixture. Any wooden molding planes hidden back in there somewhere?

It must be a pleasure to work in such an atmosphere, good lighting. Your Felder where you aren't tripping over stuff like I am. I've had to lose 40 lbs just get around my stuff. I thought we would be moving to a different house, then the bottom fell out of everything and just like everyone else now we are just waiting to see how bad it will get. In the mean time my Dr. is happy and my wife wants me to go out and get some new clothes that aren't falling off my butt. There's always a golden lining right. If I go buy some clothes I'll just have to get a few more pieces of something
    at the wood store.

Steve, good work on your shop, I can imagine dying in a nice place like that. They can just build a box around me and my MM's.

Rye Crane

Ya Steve I think your shop looks great, that Oliver looks like the one that was in my shop. Matter of fact it looks like just like my shop in the background of that lathe pic!
    Of course I probably have a plane pic or two that look just like ones that were in your shop.
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Rye Crane View Post
    Steve,

What are you doing in my shop? Jeez, that's a beautiful Oliver 36" bandsaw. You have a wonderful shop, room to move around, a truly
    great mix of machinery and I just love the hand plane collection. Are they all Stanley's or do you have a mixture. Any wooden molding planes hidden back in there somewhere?

It must be a pleasure to work in such an atmosphere, good lighting. Your Felder where you aren't tripping over stuff like I am. I've had to lose 40 lbs just get around my stuff. I thought we would be moving to a different house, then the bottom fell out of everything and just like everyone else now we are just waiting to see how bad it will get. In the mean time my Dr. is happy and my wife wants me to go out and get some new clothes that aren't falling off my butt. There's always a golden lining right. If I go buy some clothes I'll just have to get a few more pieces of something
    at the wood store.

Steve, good work on your shop, I can imagine dying in a nice place like that. They can just build a box around me and my MM's.

Rye Crane
    Thanks for the compliments Rye, it is a great place to get away from it all. I do have a row of molding planes, look at the photo of me standing in front of the planes, the woodies are on the shelf at elbow level. They are nosed into the wall, so there are a bunch of them there. Kind of funny, I needed a place to store the planes temporarily when I moved in, and that half a** shelf has kind of grown on me. It is nice to see them all out in the open. I have mostly Stanley stuff, but there is some Chaplin, Sargent, Record, Norris, Winchester and Preston mixed in for good measure. The other rack that is not in the photo actually has the rarer stuff on it.

The old Oliver bandsaw is like a good friend. What a saw. I bought it as a project from a guy in Montana. It is a babbit machine that I intended to put roller bearings on, but the babbit is working really well for now, so it's still original. The table tilt mechanism is MIA, and it used to be a line belt machine. Now for the good stuff, it's 5 hp, uses Tannewitz/Oliver hybrid guides, runs a 1" Trimaster usually, and has a Laguna Driftmaster fence. Takes a little getting used to seeing the wheels when you're running it, but it is easily the best bandsaw that I have ever used.

I've moved stuff around a bit since those photos as well. The Felder pics where taken when I was still setting it up, (which is also why it is set up for a process that I never use) so it has moved a bit. Leighs old lathe now sits under the window, and I added more cabinets. Everybody needs a place to go to shut the chaos of the day out, and this space sure does it for me.

I guess if your doc is happy, and your wife will be happy with just you getting some new clothes, then the situation must not be too bad!

Which MM machines do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    Ya Steve I think your shop looks great, that Oliver looks like the one that was in my shop. Matter of fact it looks like just like my shop in the background of that lathe pic!
    Of course I probably have a plane pic or two that look just like ones that were in your shop.

LOL! That photo does look very similar to your shop! That's a pretty sweet little lathe, I think... guess with my rank ametuer turner status, I wouldn't really know a great lathe from a good one, but I do know that it works! The lathes color does look a little more appropriate in my shop then it did in your's with all that white equipment.

Have you tried out the planes? Hope I didn't sent you the warped junkers!

Steve,

In my little 2 car garage I've shoehorned in:
    1. ST5-Elite S saw shaper 6.6 hp 3 phase 3 speed saw power lift digital readout. digital rip fence. Articluated power feeder arm w/maggi steff 2048 4 roller 8 speed feeder.

2. FS2 Jointer/Planer 520mm 9hp 3 phase w/mortise table 2200# solid

3. MM24 bandsaw

4. Delta drill press

5. Delta 14" bandsaw

6. Hand Tools: Lie Nielsen's inventory and 275 various woodies.

Steve,

1. ST5-Elite S saw shaper 6.6 hp 3 phase 3 speed saw power lift digital readout. digital rip fence. Articluated power feeder arm w/maggi steff 2048 4 roller 8 speed feeder.

3. MM24 bandsaw

4. Delta drill press

5. Delta 14" bandsaw

Nice lineup! You really don't mess around with the little iron do you? Do you have the blade guard that has the rollers on your saw? Never been around one, do you like it? That FS2 makes me do a double take everytime a see a pic of one. What a monster! Glad to see that you have a "few" planes hanging around too!

Quote Originally Posted by John Harden View Post
    Charlie, thanks for the good advice. I hadn't thought about blade tip speed. The main reason I was going to use a 10" blade is noise. The 12" ones are pretty noisy when running, particularly with 3/4 of it below the table top as it would normally be in my shop. ...

John
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Plesums View Post
    I haven't noticed any difference in noise between the 10 and 12 inch WWII blades. ....
    Breaking news on noise... I was cleaning up some old stuff, and found a 10 inch 40 tooth Sears combo blade. I cleaned off the pitch and it seemed pretty sharp, so I put it on the saw, and it gave a surprisingly clean cut for an old blade - good enough to use. But it was easily twice as loud as the 10 inch 40 tooth Woodworker II combo. I don't normally wear earmuffs when sawing, but I sure would if I were using that blade. I will be giving it away.

Bottom line, the blade itself can make a huge difference in noise, even though they looked very similar - same size, same teeth, relief cut every 10 teeth, etc.

Steve,

3. MM24 bandsaw

4. Delta drill press

5. Delta 14" bandsaw

Rye,
    1) I will raise you a Formula S35 & T50n to your ST5
    2) Not sure how much bigger your FS2 is compared to my older model FS41 with the mortiser on the back (permanently)
    3)MM24...ditto
    4)drill press check
    5)14 " bandsaw....you got me there
    6)handtools yes but all of mine most likley cost the same as one of your planes! but I do have a real nice #92 that I love
    7) will raise you a edge sander
    8) wil riase you a combo disk/belt sander
    9) will raise you my MML 160
    10) will raise you a 60 gl compressor
    11) 15hp Kay RPC
    12) many other normal tools and wood storage on the wall

Now I know you have to have more stuff in there....
    and my shop is 25x25....
    almost got that belt sander in but you know money and the economy happened....
    Last edited by Paul B. Cresti; 07-17-2009 at 12:59 PM.

Ya well do you have one of these?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Plane Anarchist

Say, that looks like a jig borer!

Paul,

Ok you win, but one thing my space is 20X20 after I burn 2 feet on each side for shelving and wood storage. There is also a 7' German bench, 3 stacks of Festools, and a partridge and a pear tree.

take care,
    Rye

Steve,

Yes the FS2 is awsome, the cut quality with the 4 knive Tersa head is as good as I've ever seen. My mortise machine is on a hydrolic lift cart so I can zip in on and off. Yes, my blade guard on the ST5 has the rollers fore and aft and it works well. The rollers allow the guard to roll over the crosscut fence and drop down on the stock you are cutting. It only drops about 1/2" but it's enough to do a good job of pickup.
    Rye

No, no antelope on my wall but I do have a Bob the Builder doll and one of those talking catfish thingys