Thread: Looking for a new string trimmer

Looking for a new string trimmer

Points: 2 vs 4 cycle noise. Are 4-cycle trimmers that much quieter?
    Brands. Looking at Troy Built and Husqvarna, but other brands may be acceptable. Have seen Echo, but Home Depot only has the 2 cycle model.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Regards, Colin
    Where's the beef.

I just bought a Husqvarna at Lowes on Sunday because the Troybuilt gave up the ghost after only 5 years. The click and lock attachments fit the Husq and even though it's the same size, it feels a lot more powerful.

Yes, 4 cycle is smoother and quieter and more reliable. Also runs longer on a tuneup, and no stinking mixed fuel exhaust! I have a Honda, which is an industrial straight shaft monster. Very similar frame size to the big Stihl's, but 4 cycle. Highly recommened. Personally I would not buy a trimmer from a borg. Find your local dealers, they'll stock stuff that actually works.

I just retired both my 2 cycle Weed Eater and my 4 cylce from Sears and bought a B&D 18v with 2 batteries. It has enough power to fit my needs and I don't have to mess with the gas, oil and spark plugs anymore. I've only used it for about a month now but I am sold on it. The battery life is excellant and I haven't had to recharge the first battery yet. I have a .4 acre lot with a lot of stuff to trim around.

Look at the Stihl line. I have had one for nearly 8 years with no problems. I did change spark plugs once.

One quick note about any gas powered trimmer. Read the owner's manual very carefully. In the case of the Stihl, it spells it out very bluntly You have to use middle grade gas and it provides the minimum octane level. It also states using lesser grades/octane gas could cause the trimmer motor to overheat.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Personally I would not buy a trimmer from a borg. Find your local dealers, they'll stock stuff that actually works.
    Another vote for Stihl. The straight shaft ones are more durable since they don't have a flexible drive shaft to make the bend at teh end. When cold, my Stihl starts on the second pull every time. One to prime it, the next to run it. After it is warmed up, starts on the first pull.

Get a spool of trimmer line the correct size when you get the new trimmer. The are some with ridges on the outside of the string that seem to last longer than the smooth stuff.

Regards,
    Ted

Stihl is great stuff, I have one of them too, but they don't make 4 cycle as far as I know.

Second the B&D cordless. Over 2 years with no problems.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Thumbs up Stihl

I'm on my second Stihl trimmer in 30 years...highly recommended!

Mike

Well, I ended up getting the Husqvarna 224L 4-cycle trimmer. So far, I like it. It seems to be very quiet, at least to the point that you could hear someone talk to you without having to shout. I finished cutting the weeds without having to give it very much gas, and I didn't break the cutting line once, even while cutting against brick, and a picket fence. To sum it all up, I likes it.

Regards, Colin
    Where's the beef.

Third vote for B&D battery powered. I have two batteries and a one acre lot, and it comes out even. No muss with starting or mixing gas and oil. And I finally figured out how to wind and replenish the spools, too (they don't work when you wind the string on backwards).

I've been extremely pleased with my RedMaxx, sold to me by my Stihl dealer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you are looking for a reiliable trimmer don't buy at big box store those are made to compete on price not one you can rely on. I have three makitas the oldest being around 25 yrs old give or take .It was used by a city crew before I bought it for parts from my local shop,so I thought .I fixed it .JUST GO BUY FROM A LOCAL SHOP . BUY WHAT THE LAWNCARE GUYS USE AND YOU WILL HAVE NOT PROBLEMS.