Thread: Finished Hard Maple Workbench

Smile Finished Hard Maple Workbench

I finally got my Traditional Hard Maple workbench finished. I first saw this design in Woodsmith Magazine's No. 173 Issue and wanted to build it. I could have built a less expensive bench but waited until I got the money to build the bench exactly like the plans in the magazine. I started the project in mid January and finished it in late February. Many $$$ and over 100 hours later, this is the result:

I'm very happy with the results. I have an article on my website describing the build process in detail if interested. If can be found at: http://www.oldaveswoodshop.com/Workbench.php

Has anyone else at Sawcreek built this same bench? I'd be interested in finding out.

Dave
    http://www.oldaveswoodshop.com

That looks perfect! Classic look and function. Good details.

I have that issue and have been waiting for the money to build it. I will be checking out the details on your web site. Thanks for sharing.

Hard Maple Workbench

I build the same bench from the same plan about a year ago. I had to build the under structure from pine wood due to the expense. I added a drawer in the middle of the bench and extended the bench dog holes across the whole length of the bench. I did not add the vise at the end of the bench. I had to add a back panel as a brace to minimize racking. The bottom rails were not enough. Otherwise I am very happy with it.
    If you got to where you were going where would it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Haynes View Post
    Many $$$ and over 100 hours later....
    Dave, it takes just a "little more" to go first class, and you have done it! That is a great looking bench, and it will be around longer than you.

That's a lot purdyer than mine.

I had a 1953 Willies pick up that I re painted, re chromed the grill, re everything. It was so pretty that I never had any fun with it. Didn't want to get a scratch on it. It was a 4WD, but I just couldn't bring myself to take it off road.

Don't be afraid to wail on that pretty new bench or it will be the last thing you build. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Marc

how many bf of maple did it require. It looks wonderful!

You won't have to replace that bench IMO, Dave. It's the basic bench I have been building for the last 15 years. I do use through DT's.. add a whale-back support under the table from end to end and use SYP for tops and Doug fir for bases.. You should not get any rack from that design.

Well done...

Sarge..

Traditional Workbench

Dave -
    I just finished building the same workbench. An elegant simple design and sturdy construction. As we should be, we're both pleased with our results.
    Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up

That looks great Dave....well worth the effort and expense!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Nice design Brad as I stated to Dave when he built his. It won't rack on you with that design.

Enjoy...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler