Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Countertop/Benchtop Material

Countertop/Benchtop Material

As you know if you have seen any of my previous posts I am setting up the new workshop. I am getting ready to start building my cabinets and am trying to decide what to use for the countertop/benchtop material. My original thought was to use 3/4" MDF and the cover it up with 1/4" Hardboard then put a hardwood wrap around it. Someone then mentioned to me to use laminte coutertops becaus ethey are cheap and easy to clean. I need to decide which one that to use so that I can finalize the dimensions for the cabinets. Let me know wha tyou guys think. Thanks.

Chuck

I had originally used laminate countertops in my shop. While they looked good at first, they eventually got banged up, because you can't hammer on them - the laminate will chip and break. There were also some stains that would not come out. So, a couple of years ago I junked them and replaced them with yellow pine cut 2-1/2 (from 2x6's) and set on edge to make a butcher block-look top. I used Watco Danish oil and paste wax on them, and they look good. When they need a freshen up, I steel wool or sand or plane them a little and reapply the finish.

I used solid core doors that I got from a commercial contractor friend of mine. They were 36" wide and I cut them down to 30" which makes a very nice work bench/counter top. Check around at HfH Restore.

Chuck,

I just got started on some cabinets for my garage shop - still need to make the doors. To answer your question, I did almost exactly what you are thinking of doing. I used 3/4 ply (just the cheap stuff) for may case construction and then topped it with 1/4 hardboard with a poplar wrap and face frame.

The 8 ft base section that I just finished is my miter saw station. So, the only thing I'm using for now to hold down the hardboard is the 4 bots that hold down the saw in the middle of the cabinet. I didn't want to glue the top down because I wanted to make it replaceable, so I thought I'd have to use a bunch of screw. To my surprise, however, the top is nice and flat due to the saw holding it down.

By the way, I followed the progress on your shop. Great job! I'm sure I'm breaking the 11th commandment - Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's shop!

If you don't fasten the hardboard down, then it can be easily replaced when it gets too cut up and spilled on. Make the wrap stand proud of the base just enough to be level with the hardboard and it will help keep the hardboard in place. Norm Abrams did something like that on the New Yankee Workshop, and is what I plan on doing for built in cabinets when I build.

IIRC, both Grizzly and Lumber Liquidators carry 1 3/4" maple breadboard which makes an excellent top as does the SYP mentioned above (that's what I did for my free-standing workbench).

Hanover NH or Jensen Beach FL or somewhere in between
    Chuck, I fully concur with Chris's suggestion of solid core doors for bench tops. Try one; I know you'll agree with us.

The ultimate in durability is a section of "bowling alley". I have one bench in my shop made from this...2-1/4" x 40" x 72" solid maple (laminated) with the prettiest finish you've ever seen on a work bench. Needless to say I don't move this bench around the shop much.
    Last edited by Nate Carey; 07-08-2009 at 10:44 AM.

Old, fat guy on the set of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" October '09

...hey Thom, Fort Pierce...I know where that is!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Strauss View Post
    Chuck,

By the way, I followed the progress on your shop. Great job! I'm sure I'm breaking the 11th commandment - Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's shop!
    I think that is hilarious!!! Thank you though. I appreciate it. It has been hard to wait this long but now it is here and I am nusy as ever trying to get it shopworthy.. I think for the countertop I am going to use 1/2" MDF and cover it up with the 1/4" Hardboard and wrapping it with some red oak that I have. It will match my cabinets that I am making.

Chuck
    Last edited by Chuck Isaacson; 07-08-2009 at 11:25 AM.

Chuck,

You say that you will use 1/2" MDF, but I will recommend that you use 3/4" at the very least. I used two layers of 3/4" also covered with the hardboard, and it is way more solid to bang on when you need to. It seems to me that the 1/2" stuff will seem too flimsy and may even break with the normal abuse that a counter top will see in a wood shop.

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Casebolt View Post
    Chuck,

You say that you will use 1/2" MDF, but I will recommend that you use 3/4" at the very least. I used two layers of 3/4" also covered with the hardboard, and it is way more solid to bang on when you need to. It seems to me that the 1/2" stuff will seem too flimsy and may even break with the normal abuse that a counter top will see in a wood shop.

Marc
    Do ya think so. I plan on using it for just a coutertop. I will have an assembly table where I will do most of my putting together. I had thought about using 3/4" at first but thought it might be overkill. Right when I thought that I have made a decision.....

I've been trying to resist asking this question; please don't take offense...just how much abuse do you think a MDF work bench top is going to withstand?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Casebolt View Post
    Chuck,

Marc

Chuck,

I have to agree with Marc. At least go with 3/4. Also, while I think it would probably be fine, I've read/heard that MDF will sag or warp over time. I went with ply to avoid this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Carey View Post
    I've been trying to resist asking this question; please don't take offense...just how much abuse do you think a MDF work bench top is going to withstand?
    This is not really a WORKBENCH. This is really a countertop. I am going to put it over my cabinets. It will not get used like a workbench (that is what I say right now). It will serve mostly as a place that I can do a light assembly on small stuff and maybe some routing and what not.

...also, halfway decent ply is cheaper, at least in my neck of the woods. I think you have Menards up your way - that's where I get my sheet goods. I think 3/4 MDF is $40-50, while 3/4 sanded ply is on sale this week for $29. I wasn't making my cabinets for the kitchen, so I wasn't concerned about top notch quality. Price and durability for the garage, my friend...

...I understand now Chuck...if you're ever visiting western New Hampshire please stop by my shop...I like to show-off my "bowling alley" workbench...Nate