Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Festool Domino Owners

Festool Domino Owners

I recently took out a loan (mortgage rates are low) and bought a Festool Domino. Kidding about the loan, I think. Anyway a couple of project were going to require a lot of mortise and tenons and I thought this was as good a time as any to rationalize why I should buy a Domino. Anyway, I really like the precision of the tool and it sure makes joinery much faster and easier. ALMOST!! I am finding that the fit of the loose tenons is so tight that it is often very difficult to get the joint to close. After so many years of watching Norm slobber on a pint of glue in each joint, I am wondering if I am using too much glue and the "hydraulics" of the fit is such that it is causing the difficulty. Anyway, I have stated using less and less glue to try to not have so much squeeze out and clean up. I may have some joint failure (glue starved), but I had to try something. Anyone else having this sort of problem or have any suggestions?? And yes, I know this qualifies a stealth gloat, but the problem is real!!

Thanks,
    Jim

For test fitting, I keep a set of dominos I sanded down since it can be pretty tricky to get them out since the fit is tight.

I haven't had any issues with dominos being too tight, but due to humidity an moisture content you might want to ease the fit a bit with either sand paper or a sharp plane if you find its too tight. Chamfering or rounding the sharp edges on the end of a tenon also help in general as well.

A properly fitting tenon of any kind should only take light taps from a mallet (or a palm for that mater) to drive home.

A light film of glue on both surfaces is more than enough, and a small even amount of squeeze out around the joint is a good indicator that the joint is not starved.

When you are doing your dry fit before gluing try taking those dominos and place them in the microwave for about a minute, if that doesn't work try two minutes, dry fit then glue..... you'll see a big difference in your fit.

cheers,
    ...r

Jim, I normally take a safety knife and slice off the ridge on the edges of the domino - seems to make them fit better on the small width mortise - though I usually use the middle width setting. I sometimes will also run the bit in twice on my mortises and that seems to help as well. I will need to try the microwave thing!! Neat idea.

And, to express how I feel about my Domino....

Just like a good marriage - the love grows stronger by the day!

I have had serious issues with the tightness of the dominoes. I have resorted to making my own.
    Fullerbuilt

I rarely, if ever, use the setting that allows no adjustment of an inserted tenon. I use the middle choice, allowing me to adjust assembled pieces a tad.

I have rarely been able to extract a tenon once inserted, even using vise grips (which of course destroys the tenon). So I don't do test fits. However, the idea of making a couple test fit tenons by sanding them thinner might be worth a try where test fitting is crucial.

Has anyone tried these? I need to replenish a couple of sizes, and have given thought to trying these.

8. I also have a small box of Dominos reserved for dry fitting. I take two swipes of a block plane on each of the edges and one swipe on one faces then write DF (for dry fit) on it with black marker.

But if Jim's problem is that it's difficult to get the joint to close, I wonder if the depth setting is correct. For me, getting the loose tenons in and out can require a little coaxing, but I've never run into a situation where I felt getting a joint to close was any more difficult than with a good M&T. Are you running your Domino with a vac?

are you using a vacuum with it there is not sawdust left in the holes

I have had good luck with the microwave method and it made them fit well.

Any time I purchase a product that includes the little package of beads that absorb moisture I throw the package in with my domino's. Once I started that they all fit really well and can be used for test fits.

I'm sure you could buy them but every electronic item I purchase seems to have them.

Humidity is the problem and that is what the microwave solves.

I've used the domino on a 1/2 dozen projects at work, and IMHO those things are simply too tight. You gotta bang them in, you gotta yank them out with vice grips which kills them, I've had to sand every single one I have used, and not just for dry fit. I sand the actual users, because on a complicated frame or assembly the last thing I want is the first domino installed set up and frozen beyond adjustment before the clamps go on. Did anyone tell Festool that we use glue in our joints over here in the States? How are you supposed to get a 4mil glue film in a joint you have to smash together with a big hammer?

As far as depth, the tool gives a perfect 1/16" glue space at each end of the loose tenon when set to the proper depth for the domino you are using, so assuming there are no chips in there if you have too much hydraulic pressure to close up the joint with and lots of squeeze out when clamping then I'd cut back on the glue in the hole.

Congrats on the Domino, glad you find it worth the money. Answers to your questions:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost...76&postcount=2

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost...0&postcount=25

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost...2&postcount=24

Sorry to be so verbose, but hope this helps.

Regards,

John
    What this world needs is a good retreat.
    --Captain Beefheart

Thanks to all for the answers and help. I am using the correct depth setting and I am using a vacuum attachment to keep wood chips out of the mortises.
    I have to say Peter sounds just like I feel about the tight fit. I know there were suggestions of creating a "dry fit" set of tenons and I have already done that and I use them. But, when it comes to thr real deal and glue up, it has simply been too tight. It is not reasonable(at least to me) that I am going to have to use a plane or a chisel and take shavings off of every tenon that I use.
    I may be using toom much glue. I am putting a fairly thin coat on each side of the tenon and then coating the surfaces inside the mortise. Maybe my thin coat is still too thick. I am going to try less and less glue (until I have joint failure from a glue starved joint).
    In the meantime, I am also going to try the microwave tip. That soudns logical and simple enough. Also going to start saving the "moisture absorbing" packets.
    Again, thank for all of the suggestions.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Has anyone tried these? I need to replenish a couple of sizes, and have given thought to trying these.

I've tried them and found they were just too inconsistent in size, some were so loose they would practically fall out of the mortise and others were so tight I couldn't get them in.

I have used the microwave technique and it works sometimes, but not all of the time. If the domino tenons are milled too big and are dry, the microwaving doesnt work.

I have had the biggest problems with the 5mm and 6mm tenons. The 8mm and 10mm tenons seem to have a better fit. but lately that has gotten worse. I purchased a box of the 10mm tenons and the fit was really tight. the microwave didnt help so I had to sand them.

I should have known better and just made some more but I was in a hury. I have to sand each one to fit for a project with 80 tenons. When I make them myself they fit perfect.

It really is a snap to make them. I rip them a hair big and thickness them in the planer. I dont try to match the round ends of the mortise but cut them square and bevel them on the jointer or router table. You can make them out of any species you want and make them to fit the different widths and depths the Domino can cut.
    Fullerbuilt