Thread: Automotive Paint

Cool Automotive Paint

Does anyone out there know something about automotive paint? I want to spray a white finish on chairs. I figured that I could go to the local automotive store and buy the appropriate primer and paint. Any thoughts on this approach?
    Last edited by Byron Trantham; 08-29-2004 at 9:59 AM.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

My experiences with car paint only revealed to me that I don't want to be painting any furniture with it. Last stuff I bought and I got the cheaper paint was almost $150 a gallon. I even got to see some that was $400 a gallon.

Why automotive paint? Can't you use a good, high quality, oil based paint made for metal? It would most certainly be cheaper that a car paint.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    My experiences with car paint only revealed to me that I don't want to be painting any furniture with it. Last stuff I bought and I got the cheaper paint was almost $150 a gallon. I even got to see some that was $400 a gallon.

Why automotive paint? Can't you use a good, high quality, oil based paint made for metal? It would most certainly be cheaper that a car paint.
    Dennis, the key here, is spraying. I suppose an oil based paint could be sprayed as long as it can be thinned.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

You can purchase sprayable lacquer paint for wood. Just go to a paint store and buy some lacquer based paint. No need for automotive paints.
    Howie.........

What kind of spray rig do you have?

I shoot waterborne finishes with an HVLP. Homestead Finishes (http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/ht...etcoatings.htm) and Compliant Spray (http://www.compliantspraysystems.com/index.htm) sell paints which are suitable for this kind of sprayer. They have standard colors, and will custom-color for you too.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Trantham
    Dennis, the key here, is spraying. I suppose an oil based paint could be sprayed as long as it can be thinned.
    Yes-sir-ree....You can thin OBP....Use a viscosity cup and the right size tip and your in bidness. I'm with you Byron.....I really like the finish I get when I spray a finish. Shoot, I spray stain, lacquer, shellac, OBP and such....I just don't shoot any WBP. The key to it all is the correct viscosity and the correct size tip on the gun.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Hi Byron,

Auto paint cost will very widely based on supplier. Example: Shoot and shine plain old car enamal in Gloss Black from one auto parts store I deal with is $123/gal. I go down the street to the other supplier in town. PPG -Pittsburgh Plate Glass gloss black is $30!!! So shop around. The other place to look is a farm supply store for equipment enamal. Your local Pro Paint store (ex:Sherman Williams) can probably hook you up as well. Now that my little brother is home from Kuwait I'l be learning a lot about car painting, 3 cars and a truck on the list. If he doesn't go back over to work we will be rebuilding wrecked cars.

No affiliations with any brands or stores mentioned.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

You can pick up small cans of auto touch up spray paint at your local dealership. I have purchased half sized cans of Chysler paint for about $10 a can.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.