Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pix of cabinetry out of more than one species of wood (oak, cherry, walnut)?

Pix of cabinetry out of more than one species of wood (oak, cherry, walnut)?

Happy 4th of July, Creekers!

I am going to build some cabinets for a new addition, and I am thinking of mixing species to use the stock I have on hand and because I think it would look pretty good. I have cherry and oak and a little black walnut.

Can anybody either post pictures of cabinets that are built out of more than a single species or link me to galleries?

Thanks as always.

Don't have any pics of cabinets, but I do have this. Curly maple and walnut. It may help in visualizing what you're after. I'm sure you'll get many other examples.

I recently did a large shadow box out of Ash as the main, Red Elm as dividers, and Zebrawood as the T&G in the back and it came out beautifully. I used a film camera so I can't post pics.

I like to mix painted and natural wood as well.

Corner cabinet I just did. Cherry and walnut.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Townsend View Post
    Very nice Brad, thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Scharle View Post
    Don't have any pics of cabinets, but I do have this. Curly maple and walnut. It may help in visualizing what you're after. I'm sure you'll get many other examples.
    Joe, that looks great to me, but I am afraid that my dear wife would not like the distinct contrast between the maple and walnut. Still, I like it a bunch. Thanks for posting.

That looks really nice, and it looks like the species you used are some of the same ones I have on hand. What finish did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Darl Bundren View Post
    That looks really nice, and it looks like the species you used are some of the same ones I have on hand. What finish did you use?
    It was real complicated; Minwax wipe-on poly (satin) applied with a paper towel.

It was real complicated; Minwax wipe-on poly (satin) applied with a paper towel.
    Hey! I think I might be able to handle that!

Thanks.

Well, I made the carcasses of my cabinets out of maple ply and the face frames, doors, and ends out of red oak. But I banded all the shelves with oak, so it's not readily apparent unless you're looking for the difference.

I did it for economical reasons, not for the look. I found a good deal on maple ply.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gill View Post
    Well, I made the carcasses of my cabinets out of maple ply and the face frames, doors, and ends out of red oak. But I banded all the shelves with oak, so it's not readily apparent unless you're looking for the difference.

I did it for economical reasons, not for the look. I found a good deal on maple ply.
    I am planning on making the carcasses out of affordable, quality ply as well, and then make the face frames out of what I've got. However, I haven't decided if I should keep all the face frames of the same species or not. And I'll probably finish the ply so it is closer in color to whichever wood I settle on.

This is part of my sister's kitchen she had done a few years ago.

She has an upper cabinet all in curly maple as well as a few other types of woods. The countertop is white oak I believe. I don't remember what all the species are.

Now if you want to see a cabinet/drawers made out of different species, you can always check out my outfeed table

or my router table

-Brian

I made my kitchen out of maple ply and cherry face frames. The maple interior helps to lighten up the insides of the cabinets. I used prefinished ply which made the job go much quicker. I would highly recomend using this as the finish is much better and more uniform than any I could have used. JMHO.
    Matt Newton
    IAFF Local 2664

non illigitimi carborundum

Oak with walnut.

Cherry and Walnut upper laundry cabinets (will start on lower cabinets this fall):
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=113862

I posted some pix of a piece of furniture I built here: