Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keim Lumber in Ohio - Holy Smokes !

Keim Lumber in Ohio - Holy Smokes !

So I was visiting some friends in Ohio last week and learning that I am a bit of a tool nut / woodworker they suggested we go to Keim Lumber for a visit. I was expecting some standard lumberyard but almost had a heart attack when I went in the front door and saw the sea of woodworking machinery stretching out in front of me.

If any of you are planning a trip to the area, this place is a MUST VISIT for sure. it's out in Amish country and so there's a twisty country road to travel on to a place called "Charm, Ohio". There's a nice little restaurant and a quilt shop on the main road. Do not eat - just park your wives, daughters and other non woodworkers there as it will maximize your time in the shop. The food is excellent

I only wish I had gone to visit with a cube van instead of a Volkswagen Rabbit. As it was, I still managed to jam some hardwood lumber in the car between the seats and literally drove 1000 miles back up to Canada (where I live) with it The border guards were chuckling when they looked in the car and learned what I was into as a hobby.

Check out this picture of the main machinery section of the shop. This is about 1/5 of the total floor space. There are many other areas with rows and rows of accessories and hand tools, along with a big exotic hardwood room with everything from big slabs of African Bubinga to lowly maple and oak.

The place is trimmed out with solid cherry - even the bathroom doors are solid cherry raised paneled doors with the "men and women" tags in bird's eye maple.

What a great place - make sure you bring lots of money when you visit - and a large vehicle with trailer

If you look carefully you'll see me in the middle near the powermatic stuff with a green shirt on and my arms in the air.

Cheers,
    Lewis

purty!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Is that a bar?

Someone else PM'd me about them just last week. Can't wait for my next trip to Ohio Amish country.

Charm Ohio

is now on my list of places to visit; in my truck pulling my cargo trailer.

Awesome.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Way cool, I'd love to see that!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks for the heads up. My inlaws live in Canton OH. This is just a nice little trip from there. Funny I had not found out about it until now.

It would make a great trip from Indy!
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Matt is correct,

That is a combination bar and ordering counter. It's like Vegas, they want you to drink and lose your inhibitions. I left with the 17" bandsaw instead of a 14" , the 15" planer instead of the 12-1/2", and every piece of lumber was quartersawn.

been there

it is a very awesome place.dont know why they put it where they did.it sure is off the main highway.great people working there to.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Is that a bar?

Someone else PM'd me about them just last week. Can't wait for my next trip to Ohio Amish country.

Funny, that was my initial reaction when I saw it but then saw the Amish lads behind the counter - complete with bluetooth headsets and pounding orders into computers...

Looks like Cabela's for woodworkers!

Wes

That is amazing!
    Just cut off the parts that don't look like a bowl...

I have lived in the area most of my life. It supports the many Amish and non-Amish woodworkers in the area. My wife dreads going there, but usually we stop at a wonderful restaurant called Chalet in the Valley so it is all ok! They actually will deliver the larger tools to your house (within a certain radius)! I just love drooling over the wide assortment of wood! They also are a great building center too! Their prices are usually competitive with the other local yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Is that a bar?

Hey Matt that was me sent you the PM.

I was also their last week. Tuesday to be exact. The pic he shows is just the large equipment area. You should see the aisles packed with woodworking stuff. AMAZING! is all I can say about it. They had Forrest woodworking blades stacked like Wal-Mart has DVD player.
    I also wish I had my F150 with me but take the car because of better MPG
    Also Hartville hardware is just an hour north.
    http://www.hartvilletool.com/
    Don't forget Lehmans hardware. The only place I know of where you can buy a wood burning cook stove and a washing machine with a 3.5HP Briggs and Stratton gas engine. http://www.lehmans.com/store/catalog?Args=
    I go up to Sugarcreek once a year and search the antique shops for old tools.

If you want to see some real solid wood furniture made like you would in your shop. Stop at Swiss valley furniture on HWY 39 Just outside of Sugarcreek.

That whole area is a good place to visit. Bulk food stores, Wineries, antique shops, Gift stores.
    https://www.wendellaugust.com/page/welcome is also their.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 07-06-2009 at 11:06 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale