Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keim Lumber in Ohio - Holy Smokes !

Here is a slide show of the place. Just give it time to load.

http://www.keimlumber.com/photogallery

You would not think by looking at the photo but it is located in a very small town up on a hill. We passed it 3 times before we found it and we had a GPS.
    Drive up the steep drive and their it was HUGE!

Can you tell it got me all excited.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

What Lewis said about "taking lots of money is true." You "will" be paying for the nice store.

I also go their about twice a year and have found that their prices are on the high side. They don't have the deals the Hartville Tools have from time to time and you can find better prices online if you're willing to use patience and do some searching. Most of you do that already.

If you are willing to do some searching in the area, there area number of lumber yards that are run by the amish and you can find some beautiful lumber at reasonable prices. If you are interested in rough sawn lumber, it's a good area to go.

Go on a nice sunny day and the trip will be very enjoyable. Watch out for the "road apples."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Hey Matt that was me sent you the PM.

I was also their last week. Tuesday to be exact.
    Yeah, I know--that whole rule about disclosing the contents of PM's and all.

Lewis,
    Said you were in Canada, So I assume you know about the Welbeck Sawmill up near Owen Sound, EH?
    Almost as big as your picture, and out in the country, with a wide selection of carving tools, power tools, and German wooden handplanes in the showroom.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    Lewis,
    Said you were in Canada, So I assume you know about the Welbeck Sawmill up near Owen Sound, EH?
    Almost as big as your picture, and out in the country, with a wide selection of carving tools, power tools, and German wooden handplanes in the showroom.
    Mike
    Hi Mike - I have heard of the place but never have been there. Maybe the next time I am wandering around Ontario. I live on the east coast near Maine and usually get up that way each summer.
    Cheers,
    Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Bischel View Post
    Looks like Heaven for woodworkers!

Wes

There, I fixed it for you. Wow what a place! I didn't even read all of your post Lewis when I saw the picture. I think the drool shorted out the computer soon after. I'm typing this from a computer in someone else's office. Thanks for the picture. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Wow....nice store!

Ive been telling you guys about this place for years. I live 30 miles away and its a great place. I told you so...
    My favorite cologne is BLO

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Norris View Post
    Ive been telling you guys about this place for years. I live 30 miles away and its a great place. I told you so...
    Guess it needed the picture to hammer the point home.

Next time I head down that way to see my friends, I'll give you a shout - I'll have more cargo capacity next time and will probably want to visit a few Amish sawmills as well

Cheers,
    Lewis

How were the prices? The rent on that place can't be cheap.

I'm driving to Canton tomorrow to visit my sisters. Think I'll go down there Monday and take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Shenk View Post
    How were the prices? The rent on that place can't be cheap.
    The machine prices are in line with most places, slightly higher than online retailers. You cant sell much stuff if you are over priced. And dont think these guys dont know what the internet is. The lumber prices are very competitive and the quality is tops. The exotic wood area is amazing. They have the wood youve only ever read about. They also have exotics in quantity. It truly is a great place for a woodworker. Expect to spend 4-5 hrs looking around. If you make the trip, consider also driving to Hartville Hardware, they are the storefront for Hartville Tool and it also is a good place to visit. Hartville, Ohio

http://www.hartvillehardware.com/
    Last edited by Lance Norris; 07-09-2009 at 8:48 AM.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

If you go all the way to Keim Lumber, make sure you drop by Boyd and Wirthman's in nearby Berlin, OH for the best open faced roast beef sandwich and a great selection of fresh pies.