Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DogFish Head Beer

DogFish Head Beer

Anyone here a beer afficianado? The 'poor' man's equivalent of the wine snob? I'm a SERIOUS fan of DogFish Head brewery beer; the '90 minute' is the best I've ever had. This month they released a beer they only make twice a year, their '120 minute' Extreme Pale Ale - very good, but too strong for more than a brandy snifter's worth - which is how it should be savored. 1 bottle for 2 or 3 people. Today I bought a 4-pack of the '90 minute' and two bottles of the '120 minute' (to try it for the first time, ever) - the $36 it cost was the most expensive six-pack the lady at 'Total Wine' had ever sold. If you're not into beer, I understand your perplexity. Mike

Mike,

I would consider myslef a beer connoisseur as well. I love to sit down with a buddy and start working my way through a whole line of taps on the wall at a new bar. We have a brewery in my local town that has been in business since 1860, Schell's brewery. They brew from lagers to pale ales, to weizens, to stouts. A few years ago they bought the grain belt lable from the old MN brewing company that has doubled their output. I have never heard of Dog Fish Heads. Sounds like a MN name, since Walker, MN has a Eelpout (dog fish) Festival every year. I would love to try it. Sam Adams made a triple bock a few years back that was real strong as well. I like to think of beer as the Blue Collar Man's wine.

Schells makes amazing beer beer, so does Dogfish Head. I have a bottle of their Raison D'Extra from 2002 that I am saving for a special occasion. At 20+% ABV, this beer will age well.

If you are lucky, you might have a bar in your area with Randal the Enamel Animal attached to a tap. It is a "organoleptic hop transducer module". In English, it is a pool filter module that is retrofitted to hold fresh hops that beer is bathed in on the way from keg to tap. THAT is a true hop experience! http://www.dogfish.com/company/tange...mel-animal.htm

If you are a homebrewer, you definately want to pick up Extreme Brewing from Amazon. The beer recipes are truely original and eye opening.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

This is good to hear. I have been curious about Dogfish Head -- it is a bit pricey, and I have been worried that it would just be "hop salad." I'll have to give it a try.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Perhaps not in the same arena, but I did discover a local bar last night that has Anchor Steam on tap. Haven't seen that in this area very often.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Anchor Steam, mmmmm very tasty. Is 7:30am on a Wed. too early?

I'm NOT a beer afficionado, but DFH is great even to my untrained pallete. Funny. I thought I was the only one who drank that stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ryan View Post
    Anchor Steam, mmmmm very tasty. Is 7:30am on a Wed. too early?
    Paul,

You must get over to Lucan (near Marshall ) and hit the Brau Brothers brewery!! Tasty stuff there also. The most expensive brew I've poured down my gullet is a Norwegian beer called Dark Horizon $22 / bottle (pint)!! AND it wasn't very good - too sweet. I'll stick with my IPA double wides.

Bruce

I had some DFH a few years ago that I picked up at a little liquor store in a local one-stop-sign town. It was a hot day, I was working a little late (getting a phase of a job done), and it was all they had that was cold and not mass-brewed water. I think it was a pale ale of some sort, but it was pretty good whatever it was. I haven't gotten around to buying it since. Lately, with Sam's Club carrying the Sam Adams variety packs for under $1/bottle, those have been hard to pass up. I do still have a couple dozen or so of a Christmas ale I brewed back in Feb. It's pretty thick and has a fairly high AC--probably in the 7-8% range (I don't measure that stuff...) by feel. And, it's getting better as it gets older, we'll just see if it makes it to this Christmas.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I was planning a trip to the store for some.......until I saw the price. I do love a good IPA though.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    ...I do still have a couple dozen or so of a Christmas ale I brewed back in Feb....
    Jason, 'Tis the season...for Christmas in July!

If it's not Speight's Gold Medal Ale...it's not worth talking about....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Minto View Post
    I'm a SERIOUS fan of DogFish Head brewery beer; the '90 minute' is the best I've ever had.
    For better or worse, I live about a mile from a dogfish head brewery/bar/restaurant. It's in a strip mall, of all places, but--on the happy side--they regularly have the 120 min. on tap.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    Paul,

You must get over to Lucan (near Marshall ) and hit the Brau Brothers brewery!! Tasty stuff there also. The most expensive brew I've poured down my gullet is a Norwegian beer called Dark Horizon $22 / bottle (pint)!! AND it wasn't very good - too sweet. I'll stick with my IPA double wides.

Bruce
    Bruce I had lunch at the Brau Brothers Bar last week. I could sit there for hours. I have to be real careful, it is about and hour drive home from there. Lunch last week included a burger, fries, and 3 beers. I would have had 12 if I didn't have to drive home. All of the brews there are good, but the frame straighter ale is my favorite, the scotch ale is real good too.

Anchor also makes a Porter - very creamy - a "dessert" beer if such a thing exists.
    The problem with education in the School of Hard Knocks is that by the time you're educated, you're too old to do anything.