Thread: Sam Maloof. Who will be the next Number One?

Sam Maloof. Who will be the next Number One?

last night I watched a PBS show on Sam. It was very interesting and enjoyable.

But I got to wondering . . . . most of us thought Sam was THE number one woodworker in the States/World (take your pick), and now, who will we look up to in the same manner?
    MARK

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Valsi View Post
    last night I watched a PBS show on Sam. It was very interesting and enjoyable.

But I got to wondering . . . . most of us thought Sam was THE number one woodworker in the States/World (take your pick), and now, who will we look up to in the same manner?
    Mark, that's some statement, I wouldn't know enough woodworkers to pick the best in my city, let alone the world.

Sam made some wonderful pieces, and was famous for his work, however I have no opinion on whether he was the best, or simply the most famous.

I like Krenov's work also, and he is famous, yet I presume that there are literally hundreds or perhaps thousands of craftsmen that are just as good scattered around the world.

Many of these will be amateurs who will remain unknown their entire life.

I'm not trying to diminish the accomplishments of Sam Maloof, just stating that I don't have the required information to make that sort of judgement.

Regards, Rod.

Hanover NH or Jensen Beach FL or somewhere in between
    Sam Maloof's woodworking is certainly note worthy...but there's no shortage of equally talented crafts people working in wood...

...for starters - www.furnituremasters.org

Old, fat guy on the set of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" October '09

What I find more inspiring about his story and worth imitating is how he kept his business his own yet was humble about his craftsmanship. How he spent a lifetime working with passion and energy, no Sunny Acres retirement and it seemed kept working pretty much to the end of his time here. He looked forward not back, stuck to his vision and style through all types of fashion changes and enjoyed living. That's a real inspiration.

Have to agree with Rod and Nate. I see no way to come to a conclusive "who's number 1". I have been to two seminars by Sam at Highland Hardware and Sam was a great WW and a true person. But... with that said I see the work of several in a WW Guild I belong to that do pieces just as out-standing that will never be known to the general public.

Sam Maloof.. Kresnov.. Frid.. Klaus are all good and very well known as they happened to be in the right place at the right time when the WW hobby took off back in the late 70"s and early 80's. I respect all their abilities but don't put any on a pedestal to look up too. If I started putting all on pedestals that can produce on the same level as the well knowns... you would create huge demand for pedestal building IMO.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Sam had a unique communication ability as well as developing a part of the art. He earned respect and gave joy for a lot of decades.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Sam had a unique communication ability as well as developing a part of the art. He earned respect and gave joy for a lot of decades.
    I agree. To meet Sam was to like him. He had that rare ability to connect with people in a positive way.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    Have to agree with Rod and Nate. I see no way to come to a conclusive "who's number 1". I have been to two seminars by Sam at Highland Hardware and Sam was a great WW and a true person. But... with that said I see the work of several in a WW Guild I belong to that do pieces just as out-standing that will never be known to the general public.

Sam Maloof.. Kresnov.. Frid.. Klaus are all good and very well known as they happened to be in the right place at the right time when the WW hobby took off back in the late 70"s and early 80's. I respect all their abilities but don't put any on a pedestal to look up too. If I started putting all on pedestals that can produce on the same level as the well knowns... you would create huge demand for pedestal building IMO.
    Well stated. My first reaction on seeing the topic was "There can't be a new Number One, because there never really was an old Number One."
    “I don’t have a lot of tools because it doesn’t take many to make furniture.” - Rob Millard

I think a better way of putting it would be to ask who is going to fill the void left by Sam Maloof's passing? James Krenov is almost blind and he will soon be leaving us, too. Those are two woodworking icons that will certainly be missed.

Like old George Jones once sang, "Who's gonna fill their shoes?" It's not just a question of woodworking talent. There are people on this forum with talent equal to Maloof and Krenov.

No, it takes talent, a love of the craft, a drive to succeed and that intangible "it" that sets a chosen few apart from the rest. Someone will rise up to assume that mantle and it will be interesting to see who.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Not to say anything against Sam Maloof, because if I ever make one thing as well as he made anything I'd be proud, but remember the context of his fame. If I remember correctly it was by luck his work came to light, and if he hadn't lived in the LA area his work would probably not have reached the astronomical value it did, unless he lived in NY. I am sure there are many WW's out there as good as Sam Maloof, maybe some better. If that WW works in Pungo, Va. you're never going to hear about him/her. The coolest thing about Sam Maloof is how he stayed a real person in spite of his constant exposure to LA LA Land's rich and famous.
    Knowledge is Responsibility
    Mark V.

Out of deference to others, I have removed my name from nomination.

Please restrain the roaring laughter, it just simply isn't polite

Back to the OP, just like many of the "stars" we hear so much about in the news, even the tragic events that surround their lives - this stuff gets played out in every town in America (the world!) every day. When I hear about a "great accomplishment" on the morning news, or a tragic event, I just stop and think about the little community in which I live. There are similarly great people, tremendously talented individuals, and horrific tragedies that never get mentioned in the media.

Like others have said, it is usually a unique set of circumstances in time that "create" the phenomena. I have never been one to become "star struck." I certainly appreciate the talent, but I believe God graced all of us with unique abilities. Some put forth the effort to maximize those, others do not. Perhaps it is the effort that should be celebrated - not the God given talent?