Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What wood for everday use?

What wood for everday use?

Hi All, I'm thinking of making some small bowls for everyday use like cereal and milk etc. I'd think maple would be good but kind of boring. What other woods would be good for this use but more interesting? And how about wood suggestions for salad bowls? Thanks for any ideas. Alan
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Alan, if you want it more intresting try a segmented bowl..that way you can use all colors, sizes and shapes
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

I always loves me some walnut.

For the most interest, you might consider making a set of 4 each out of a different wood.

Myrtlewood is good for both. I have made salad bowls for friends. I personally think any wood would make good bowl. It is the finish that i would worry about.

There are all kinds of woods that would fit the bill.

Just don't use woods that are commonly toxic.

I use walnut, maple, cherry, mahoganey, osage orange, myrtle wood, etc. for utility bowls of all kinds.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Hanover NH or Jensen Beach FL or somewhere in between
    Alan, you're close enough to the source so this may make sense...if you can get a few good size pieces of grapefruit tree, try that. The wood, although not impressively figured, is a pleasant yellow color (almost as yellow as the fruit) and turns like "firm" butter...and it is "food safe"

Old, fat guy on the set of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" October '09

Alan - since you are asking for suggestions - I suggest Cherry! Beautiful wood to turn and the color will get better with time! As for Maple - ever think of curly maple? Great wood and the curl would really add some pizazz to your everyday stuff!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by David Christopher View Post
    Alan, if you want it more intresting try a segmented bowl..that way you can use all colors, sizes and shapes
    David, I dismissed segmented because of the glue lines. How do you think that would hold up over many washings and wet contents in the bowl? Interesting idea though. My wife loves my segmented stuff.

Alan,
    Use Titebond III.
    Richard in Wimberley

Alan,
    I use whatever is in the shop or wood bin, except oak.
    Was once told a medium density hardwood was the best wasy to go, like soft maple, cottonwood, saycamore (sp?), etc.
    That said, my favorite ceral/ice cream/everything bowl is pecan. It feels much different from a softer wood like maple or poplar.
    Use whatever you like and learn how it works for the purpose.
    Rich S.

I would use some kind of domestic hardwood. They look nice. Maybe some avocado?
    well depending on the way I would travel, I'm roughly 2,340 miles to 2,529 miles away from the infamous STEVE SCHLUMPF!!!!

Thanks all

for your suggestions. I didn't know you could use woods like walnut. Walnut always seemed too porous/open grained to me but I'll definitely give it a try. I really appreciate the suggestions. Thanks again.

14. I'll agree with the suggestion of Cherry. No open grain, develops a beautiful patina, and it cleans up nicely.

well for me itīs free wood... but it depends on what im making.. balusters good quality pine/fir or maple. bowls, cherry, mapel, eldar, oak.

But free wood is the bedst wood
    Rasmus Petersen - woodturning.dk.
    Itīs not a failure itīs a design opportunity