Thread: Salad Bowl Finish in Canada?

Salad Bowl Finish in Canada?

Over the last couple of days, I have been trying to order Salad Bowl Finish from the States without success (I live in Alberta, Canada). Does anyone know of a vendor in Canada that I can order from? Two points if it's someplace in Calgary.

Thanks!

Tim
    Wood works well with winter

Tim

I'm pretty sure Behlen (Mohawk) makes a salad bowl finish; try this distributor:

InternL Lacq Western
    809 34Th Ave Se
    Calgary, AB T2G 4Y9

Failing that, won't Craft Supplies USA ship to Canada?

Lee Valley has this:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,42941&p=63303 (Ignore this link -- see post below).

(It's beeswax and mineral oil.) I can't say anything about it -- haven't used it.

Cheers,

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Kennedy; 07-09-2009 at 4:44 PM. Reason: Copied wrong link
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

I tried rubbing that in and got lots of scratches

Think this is the correct link.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kennedy View Post
    Lee Valley has this:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,42941&p=63303

(It's beeswax and mineral oil.) I can't say anything about it -- haven't used it.

Cheers,

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    I tried rubbing that in and got lots of scratches

Think this is the correct link.
    Oops. I copied that link for another post -- I wonder if there some poor guy on another thread thinking that the LV squares are really gelatinous.

Thanks,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

6. I've been using Clapham's Beeswax Salad Bowl Finish and I'm happy with it. Of course it is the only I've used, but it is made in Canada and has a list of distributors at:

http://www.claphams.com/

Eric

FYI Salad Bowl Finish IS varnish so maybe save yourself the ordering and use thinned varnish. It's great.
    Wood Whisperer and I can't remember which finish guru, Flexner or someone else say it's ok to use.
    http://thewoodwhisperer.com/cutting-board-finish/
    Easy to clean, lasts a long time, easy to reapply AND so messy transfer of mineral oil to the gift wrapping...lol
    Been doing it for couple of years now without problems.
    Last edited by Brian Penning; 07-09-2009 at 9:16 PM.

Make it easy on yourself and save some of your Canadian dollars.

Go to your local drug store (CVS?) and buy some edible Mineral Oil - in the laxative department - and use that.

Do I get the 2 points?

Todd

Finish Observations

Finish Observations:

Mineral Oil: Yes it's cheap. However I did not find it to be overly durable. And despite my best efforts to saturate the wood with mineral oil the first time I tried to wash my board, it cupped. Clearly lots of people have success with this finish but I'm not overly happy with the look of my product when it's done.

Claphams Beeswax Salad Bowl Finish: I occasionally use this with good results. You really don't need to use a lot and it's really easy to apply. If I need to get something to a customer quickly, I use this. I also will throw a small bottle in (when the price justifies it) to help keep things looking good. Customers really appreciate the thought.

General Finishes' Salad Bowl Finish: (For me...) This is one of my favorite finishes. I use it on items other than just cutting boards and bowls. Anything that I turn that I want to have "the best" finish, I use this. Typically I use three coats with a light 800 grit sanding in between. It's durable with a nice high gloss clarity. Yes it is a film finish. And yes it does leave cut lines after awhile if I'm using it for cutting boards. But I still like its durability, shine, and feel when it's done.

Now if I can only find someway to resupply myself to finish a few projects that I have been working on.

Tim
    Wood works well with winter

General Finishes Salad Bowl Finish is nothing more than a thinned wiping varnish. You can easily make your own by mixing your favorite varnish or poly varnish 50/50 with mineral spirits.
    Howie.........

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Dorcas View Post
    Finish Observations:

Mineral Oil: Yes it's cheap. However I did not find it to be overly durable. And despite my best efforts to saturate the wood with mineral oil the first time I tried to wash my board, it cupped. Clearly lots of people have success with this finish but I'm not overly happy with the look of my product when it's done.

. . .

Tim
    Mineral oil had nothing to do with your cutting board cupping.

I like Canola oil