Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoists

Hoists

I'm trying to track down a 500-1000 pound electric hoist that's suitable for outdoor use with at least 27 feet of lift and either a really long control cable or a wireless remote control.

The objectives are a) to move materials and tools from a second floor garage to a first floor shop, and b) to move firewood from the ground to a third floor "widow's walk" that leads to the great room where we have a wood stove.

The back of the house looks like this: small07070008.jpg

Double doors in the middle open from the garage. Double doors on the bottom open from the shop.

The hoist will hang from the ridge beam at the top, which has been engineered to take the load. In fact, a hoist is shown on the plans. This house is at Lake Tahoe and has been designed for 240 psf snow loads so a thousand pounds is not going to be a big deal. I can build a cover over the hoist to provide some protection from the elements in addition to protection offered by the roof overhang, but using an outdoor-rated hoist minimizes the need for maintenance or replacement for the next 20 years.

Trolleys that allow the hoist to be brought inside are not an option. My wife's playroom is over the garage. For those who think I was shortchanged, the shop has a heated floor and will be very comfortable in winter.

I'm also curious about the difference between the 1100 pound capacity hoist from Northern Tool and the half ton hoists from Yale, Polaris, CM Industrial, Dayton, Budgit, Harrington and Coffing. Why are they so much more expensive and only offer 10 or 20 foot lifts? Is there a safety issue using the Northern Tool lift?

Any advice, suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.

I have an inexpensive Northern winch that I used for rigging machinery. I wasn't using it a lot, so the "import" quality was fine.

For the work you're doing, I wouldn't mess around with anything but an industrial hoist. You're looking at some big $$$ and probably a phase convertor because the hoist motors are all 3-phase.

Jack, I have a electric boat winch it uses seat belt material ( but thicker and stronger ) and its rated for 2000 lbs and weather proof.....onlt problem is it takes 12 volts
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

I have an import hoist from Northern Tool that I use to move stuff up and down from the attic of my shop to the main floor. It's rated for 1100. The length of the control cord was an issue, but it was easy enough to buy a longer run of cable and swap it out so I can control the hoist from the main floor. The weatherproofing is another issue altogether. If my unit were exposed to the elements, it would probably turn into a chunk of rust in no time. My guess is that the weatherproofing requirement is going to drive up your cost big time.

I think you'd be better off renting this from a serious tool rental place. They'll have industrial strength portable cranes, winches, hoists, forklifts, whatever's appropriate.

One thing to consider is that most winches, like a boat winch, are rated for line pull - NOT overhead lifting. So that 8,000# winch is only for pulling said load horizontally, and usually on a trailer with tires or some such.

Hoists for overhead lifting have some pretty serious requirements to protect the people using them. There's no way I would lift anything over my head with anything less than a good ol' piece of American made machinery! I have an old Yale 4,000# hoist - it has a triple duty rating (meaning that it's rated to lift at least 12,000# before failure). Thing must weigh 4-500#. Also consider that you need at least grade 70 chain for overhead lifting and it should be kept oiled and stored indoors, or at least out of the rain.

I've seen some hoist failures and, believe me, it's not something that's pretty. Even 100# falling 15' can ruin your day in a hurry.

Brian

In Holland, you see old three story apartment buildings with such a beam sticking out from the roof. The beams were also used for moving furniture (even pianos) up through the windows, since the stairwells were too narrow. They used rope with multiple pulleys to make the pull force required easily manageable. I could see this as an easy solution to your firewood challenge. With some research you could probably find the right pulleys and rope to move shop tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell View Post
    For the work you're doing, I wouldn't mess around with anything but an industrial hoist. You're looking at some big $$$ and probably a phase convertor because the hoist motors are all 3-phase.
    Although I'd second the industrial hoist suggestion, I have a single phase 220V Budgit hoist out in my shop that would beg to differ on the 3-phase part of the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bank View Post
    Although I'd second the industrial hoist suggestion, I have a single phase 220V Budgit hoist out in my shop that would beg to differ on the 3-phase part of the suggestion.
    I believe you. I was just looking at what Grainger had for industrial type hoists.

I would ask your Insurance Agent about installing it first before you buy one. I was working at Sony in San Diego and they used overhead lifts to move picture tubes and one came down on a worker... It was not any fun getting a face full of metal. Liability.... You must consider that first.

The proper hardware and bolt quality will be a real issue. Without an Engineer signing off on it, you could be liable for any issues. A Lock Out to prevent kids from taking rides would be a must.... Having your picture flashed all over the TV and Papers and being hauled away in cuffs due to an accident is the worst case senereo.... Then again, it might work out just fine and not be any problem.

You need to look at both sides of the issue... Safety and Utility.

Don't take this wrong, but you need to at least be aware of the Safety and Liability side.

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

OK i dont' want to hijack this thread, but i'm looking at the chicago electirx / grizzly 440 / 880 lb lifts for a slightly different purpose..

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=115844

Basically i have only 8' ceiling in my shop and i want be able to raise / lower my assembly table flush to the ceiling. I'd be willing to go with a manual chain hoist, but i don't think i'd be able to use the lifting chain with the thing positioned up in the attic and in the middle of the 4x8 table being lifted... (i'm now leaning toward Harry's idea of a single lift point in the middle of the table)

So i've been looking at these electric winch style/wire (non-chain) lifts for this purpose. I dunno exactly how much my table weights but i lifted the (2) 1/2mDF and (1) 3/4ply panels that went into it. With some hardwood, i'm guessing it'll be < 200lbs...

If i buy the 800lb (double line mode) for very intermittent use, if this really unsafe? I won't be directly under it and i am thinking i'll use a set of (4) S-hooks / etc to latch to the eye hooks in the joists once its lifted so i can release the stree on the hoist cable...

anyway, am i being stupid?
    Last edited by Brad Ridgway; 07-10-2009 at 10:23 PM.

I'm aware of the safety and liability issues. The electrician and I talked about safety devices. The simplest one is a circuit breaker that is only accessible from inside the house so kids can't accidentally activate the hoist.

Any platform or sling would be disconnected when not in use.

The hook on the end of the cable will be secured in a place that's not easily accessible to a child. Now that you've mentioned it, the end of the cable will be secured and padlocked if it's stored position is within someone's reach.

Power is on a dedicated circuit breaker.

I agree that using proper fasteners is critical.

I'm still looking for ideas about where to buy. Not sure how well the 110v units will hold up outside and a 220V unit is more than I'm willing to spend. I might be reduced to ropes and pulleys.

Jack - do yourself a favor and go read the review over on Amazon for the Grizzly G8704 :-) you will probably decide that's all you need 0 haha

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Ellis View Post
    Not sure how well the 110v units will hold up outside and a 220V unit is more than I'm willing to spend. I might be reduced to ropes and pulleys.
    My father used barn door track and a block and tackle to hoist things from his garage up to a loft area above it. Not quite as whiz bang as an electric hoist, but it has served him well for the past forty years. With two sheaves, it is possible to hoist a fair sized rototiller up there (the heaviest item he puts up there).

I happened to find the Budgit hoist on eBay for $200 for a 2-ton hoist.

Jack,

You could try a boat dealer. There are hoists to lift a boat out of the water in a boat house. They will be rated for lifting, not pulling like a trailer winch. They are also rated for outdoor use, but are usually in a covered area, so I'm not sure if it would be OK to be out in the weather with no protection at all from rain, etc.

I've got a Harbor Freight chain hoist, rated at 2000#. I've lifted my 12" jointer, 15" planer and 18" bandsaw. Not electric, but does work well.

Greg