Thread: Used Dewalt DW682 Plate Joiner this this a good deal?

Used Dewalt DW682 Plate Joiner this this a good deal?

Is $80 for a newer used Dewalt DW682 Plate Joiner a good deal. I was looking into getting one and didn't want to spend full price on one yet. I see that the PC cable can use FF biscuits not really sure what that means and if I would even need to use them.

Thanks

That's not much more than I paid for mine off the 'bay. Works great. The FF biscuits are smaller than the Dewalt will handle, and if you have FF capability, I'm sure you will find a use for it. But so far, not having FF hasn't caused me any hassles.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Gerdzunas View Post
    Is $80 for a newer used Dewalt DW682 Plate Joiner a good deal. I was looking into getting one and didn't want to spend full price on one yet. I see that the PC cable can use FF biscuits not really sure what that means and if I would even need to use them.

Thanks
    I have the Dewalt and bought mine new years ago and really like it. It will do #0 (zero), #10 & #20 size biscuits. The PC will do the FF biscuits with a smaller blade. If FF are what you want it for then get a PC of a Kreg pocket hole jig.

Thanks. I saw a few on the bay for a little cheaper but this seller is within 30min drive and I will be close to his area tomorrow anyways so I was going to swing by and buy it from him.

I wanted to build a dresser, bed frame and some cabinets so I was thinking a joiner would help. Not really sure if I'd need to use those FF biscuits. That pocket hole jig would be nice too.

I have the PC that will do smaller biscuits but to be honest since I bought my Kreg K3 Master kit I haven't used biscuits. Pocket holes are so much easier plus you don't have to wait for the glue to setup it just doesn't make sense to use biscuits. For me that is.

Thanks I think the Pocket hole jig would be best. Looks to be very fast. What does everyone do after they attach the FF to the cabinet do you just leave the hole exposed or do you fill it in.

For example on a bookcase unit would it be better to just use glue and brad nail the FF on it then or use the PC FF biscuits instead of using the pocket hole since there's no door and you would see that pocket hole.

I need to find a book or 2 to read up on this stuff.

Looks like I really would not have a use for the biscuit joiner then.

I have the PC and have had it for about 5 years. In that time, I have used the FF blade once. It was convenient, but I could have found a way without it.

One warning about the DeWalt -- check that the blade is truly horizontal. When I bought my PC, there were a bunch of reviews complaining about the DeWalt blade being misaligned. It sounded like there was a bad batch, so you may want to make certain that you aren't about to buy one of those.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Think you hit the reason for having a plate joiner, no holes. I think most projects the pocket holes either wont matter, or wont be seen.

I mostly use biscuits when I'm gluing up a panel. Adds a little strength and helps with alignment.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kennedy View Post
    One warning about the DeWalt -- check that the blade is truly horizontal. It sounded like there was a bad batch, so you may want to make certain that you aren't about to buy one of those.
    Chris
    Some of the DeWalts are out of alignment from the factory, but there is a fairly simple adjustment to bring it dead on.

I don't no if this one was out of wack from the factory but I would think there should be a way to adjust that maybe not.

So maybe that Dewalt joiner and getting that pocket hole kit would be the best for me.

Thanks for the help.

i absolutely love my dewalt plate joiner. wish it could be able to cut FF but i personally would have no use for them. $80 is a fair price not great but still pretty discounted IMO

$80 is top dollar IMHO. Last week, here a Craftsman version (also made by DeWalt) was $35. The handle and switch are different on the Sears version. I have one of each. Don't have a preference for one over the other. It's just a matter of which one I can get my hands on first.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wingard View Post
    Some of the DeWalts are out of alignment from the factory, but there is a fairly simple adjustment to bring it dead on.
    Exactly! I have the DeWalt, and from the day I got it the blade was not aligned. Then I found a link to the fix on this site and now my DeWalt is a PRECISION cutting machine.
    WOW, what a difference!
    I still like the PC better for the fence-mounted handle.