Thread: Combo Salt & Pepper shaker

Combo Salt & Pepper shaker

Hi Everyone,
    This combo salt and pepper shaker/grinder started out as a prototype and made from scrap poplar and ?
    My wife wanted something to replace the old worn out one she had for many years.
    I used the short crushgrind mechanism and in the top where the salt reservoir is, I epoxied in brass plumbing fittings ( I need to learn how to cut threads in wood LOL)
    It turned out so good that she won't part with it, so I finished it and now it is in service.
    I had made inqiries about mechanisms to make combo units before but there was no information available and I was stymied until I got the crushgrind unit. Works great!
    The cap is made from an unknown wood from southern Georgia. I thought it was cherry but NO typical cherry smell. The bark looked similar to cherry.
    Comments/critiques always welcome.
    Wayne
    Attached Images Attached Images

Won't the salt react with brass? I think PVC fittings would have been a better choice.

Bob

Looks like a winner!

Wayne,

That combo looks like a winner. Given that your wife won't part with it, I'm sure you could sell a ton of those -- particularly if you made them with "nicer" wood.

If you don't mind my asking, where do you add the pepper corns? I'm not familiar with the crush grind mechanisms.

Good job.

Wayne that is a great looking piece. I can see why she won't part with it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Wayne,

I think you did a great job. Looks great.
    Your post really got my attention. I have been avoiding the salt and pepper grinders because I didn't think that I could make them match. But what is a combo salt and pepper ?? Are they both in there ? Are they mixed together or how are they seperated ? Maybe I am expecting too much, is it one or the other ? Thanks, Keep up the great work.

Dave

Bob,
    Its all I had and I would definitely use plastic next time. Will have to see how bad the salt react with the brass over time? It was a neat design project.
    Wayne

David,
    The peppercorns can be added either by seperating the lower section from the middle one (its just a slight force fit) or by undoing the plastic adjuster on the bottom of the mill. The crushgring mech I used is the stemless one and is only about 3" long/high. If I knew it was going to turn out so well, I would have made the threaded fittings from plastic and used a more exotic wood than poplar?
    Wayne

Dave,
    The lower portion of the shaker contains the short crushgrind stemless ceramic mill. The middle section with the female threads is bored out for the salt and the cap has holes in it for the salt to be applied. Neat project and much sought after.
    Thanks for the interest,
    Wayne

First time I have seen a combo unit! Pretty cool idea! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Wayne,

This is a seriously cool idea. Very well done. And as for plain old poplar I still think it looks great. Good job all the way around. I think I will have to make one similar to it for my wife.

Joshua

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Leach View Post
    Bob,
    Its all I had and I would definitely use plastic next time. Will have to see how bad the salt react with the brass over time? It was a neat design project.
    Wayne
    If it is "naval brass" (464 Brass, naval brass, 464 bronze, naval bronze all seem to be synonyms) it has a touch of tin instead of the lead found in 360 brass (free machining brass) or 330 brass . Naval brass is more resistant to corrosion by salt.

It may indeed be naval brass if they are high quality brass plumbing fittings.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Wayne,

Thanks for the answer. One more question...does the salt get ground up also ??? as in sea salt that is quite course. That would be the perfect combo then. Maybe I missed it but where did you purchase the parts ?
    Thanks for all of your help, Good luck.

Dave

Hi Dave,
    The salt is regular table salt in a seperate compartment above the mill and shake it out of 8 -- 1/16 drilled holes in the top.
    Lots of turning suppliers have the shaftless/stemless crushgrind mechanisms- some are Craft Supplies , Woodturners Catalogue in Utah , Lee Valley etc. and costs around $12.00
    Let me know if you need any other info or help.
    Wayne

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Love how the reddish hue on top "spills" over into the reddish stain on the light shaded wood. Perfect!

Norm,
    thanks for the nice comments and thanks to everyone out there who took time to look at and comment on my work.
    Wayne