Thread: I just gotta ask this

I just gotta ask this

Why do some people mount their router table in the right wing of their table saw. It's much easier to use in the left wing because you can stand beside the work. Is it because they are raising large panels? Or what?
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Mine is in the right wing because

the right table is made from a 1 3/4 thick solid core door and the left side is made from the two stamped steel extension wings which came with my Delta contractor's saw. The choice to insert the router mounting plate into wavy stamped steel or into flat wood was a no brainer.

Mine's on the right. I put it there 'cause my tablesaw is on wheels, mounted on a cabinet. The cabinet extends out to the right, and I use that for support for a somewhat larger router table.

Other than that, I guess there's no particular reason. (cabinet was in either Woodsmith or ShopNotes a few years ago.)

Guess it's what fits........

Walt
    Walt

Steve K Guest

Me too

I think that's a darn good question as I have mine on the left side. It's not really an insesrt though it's the Veritas steel top but it works really good on the left side.

Steve

Well mines on the right

The right has a 50" table the right wing is cast iron. Wood is easier to cut. I still stand at the end and work with it so not sure what you mean that its easier? Oh ya I have a left tilt so the motor of the ts is under the left wing that would make it very hard to put the router there.

It sounds like most of this is tool specific. I have a left tilt cantractor saw with 2 cast web wing extentions on the right with 30" rip capacity & the router table in the left wing. I don't have the 50" fence because of a 13'5" wide shop but I do have a DeWalt panel saw which makes up the difference.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Paul Kunkel Guest

Re: I just gotta ask this

Originally posted by Bart Leetch
    Why do some people mount their router table in the right wing of their table saw. It's much easier to use in the left wing because you can stand beside the work. Is it because they are raising large panels? Or what?
    Bart, I put mine on the right side cause I had more room there. If it works for you, do it. Where isn't the issue. Check out my shop tour for a pic of that setup

I went to your shop shots for a look before. all I have to say is it must be rough when you build the saw off feed table & then have to figure out how big to build the shop building to fit around it. I'll bet that saw & out-feed table combination is almost if not as big as my 13'5" x 24'5" shop.

Paul Kunkel Guest
    Nah! It's only 12 X 16 right now there probably isn't 1 sq ft that doesn't have something happening on it though. I'm making drawer lock on the router, style stock on the shaper, assy of an 8ft double vanity on the N. end, and more FF stock coming off the saw and going to the planer for diminsioning. I wish it were bigger! If I can afford it, this summer I'll add another 800 sq ft off the back for wood storage and finishing. you can never have enough space except when it comes time to heat it

Well Bart , for me it was a simple decision based on haveing a lot of wasted space to the right end of my saw and no extra space to the left.
    I have since realized that on many occasions I have had the router table set up for something and still been able to use the table saw for something else without disrupting the router setup.
    You can take a look at my setup here.

http://www.jcshop.netfirms.com/routebench.htm
    It's a vintage trailer thing. If ya gotta ask, ya won't understand.

I thought of mounting mine in the right wing but I decided to mount it in the outfeed table instead. I think the original idea was to use the rip fence in conjunctinon with the router, but I prefer to use a strip of hardwood that pivots, rather than a fence that only slides in one direction.