Thread: Help on new Ellsworth Jig version 2009

Help on new Ellsworth Jig version 2009

Hi,

After some months of trials with my Wolverine, I decided to get the Ellsworth grinding jig to be able to achieve the Irish grind on my gouge. The problem is that I looked at the Packard woodworks webpage and there is a version 2009 of if:

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merc...Category_Code=

Has anybody tried it? It seems to me that rounding the shape of the aluminum block makes sense to avoid contact of it with the grinder, but the swiveling post seems not to be very well attached to the main body....

Some help?

Thanks!

I have the orginal version and have not tried the new product. On mine, where the post enters the body has not been an issue. You do need to take care with handling the jig as the post is not a large diameter and will bend rather easily, thus changing your grinding angle.

I'm not sure if you have already purchased the Ellsworth jig. If not you may want to try this one:

http://www.geigerssolutions.com/ellsworthscrew.html

I have one and it works well.

Thanks for the link Jeff.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Ellsworth Sharpening Jig

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wright View Post
    I'm not sure if you have already purchased the Ellsworth jig. If not you may want to try this one:

http://www.geigerssolutions.com/ellsworthscrew.html

I have one and it works well.
    I too have the Geiger Verticle Solutions for sharpening the Ellsworth bowl grind. This jig is a no brainer and gives repeatable results every time and is extremely easy to use. Do Geiger also offers an improved Ellsworth jig and has adapters to sharpen smaller gouges than 5/8".

Mauricio, if there is a quality problem with the jig you purchased, let the seller know. If it was Packard, I know they will take good care of you.

I have the original Ellsworth jig and also use the Gieger arm setup in my Wolverine to support it. Good product, albeit at a price.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks to all of you for your answers to my question.