Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you hollow a box?

How do you hollow a box?

Hello all, I am in the process of trying to hollow out a box, inside diameter about 2" and 3 1/2" deep. What tools do you use and what procedures? I have tried 6 different gouges plus a tool using the CI0 cutter. They are all scary. The wood is semi-dry cherry. Thanks for any suggestions.

Bear

Is it straight sided or a bowl with a a lid. It makes a difference.

Straight sided uses a Skew and a straight sided Scraper. A rounded side requires a Bowl gouge and a round or half round Scraper. In either case, take your time and light cuts.

If you haven't hollowed out yet, grab some "Free" wood to practice. That way, it something goes wrong, only a learning experience happens.

Don't forget the Face Shield.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

the cutter shouldve made it easy. what wood are you using and what speed are you using. also did you make sure that the cutting edge was at or slightly above deadcenter?
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

You can always cheat and use a forstner bit...
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Ted,
    I have the Raffan video on boxes, he uses just about all of the tools the other guys have mentioned. You can get a copy from Amazon for like $20.

Ted - I am guessing that you are cutting end grain and would think that a scraper would work well for your project. Here is a short video - promoting a Sorby tool - but the process is demostrated quite clearly as to how to hollow out a box and a small hollow form. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTDdPIW8WjQ

HTH
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I have started using Richard Raffan's back hollowing methed and then a square scraper to straighten the sides. On the outside I use a spindle gouge and a skew.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Hunter Carbide. Then a bowl scraper. The Hunter has virtually no learning curve, and very catch resistant.

I would take your smallest spindle gouge and grind a nice point on it. Focus it on the very center while alternating cuts from just outside the middle into the center. Do this until you've reached bottom. Then take a square scraper with it ground so that the sides have sharp points and take small straight cuts to the bottom from inside to out. If you don't have a square scraper take a tool that you don't use and grind one.

Forstner bit slightly under size, then home made boring bar w/ 3/16 HSS tool bit, then home made tool w/ Hunter #3 or #4 to clean up. Different strokes ---.
    Richard in Wimberley

Many thanks to all of you responding with your ideas and suggestions to my dilemma with the box.

Bruce: It is straight sided. I do not have a scraper but one from Doug should be here tomorrow, albeit a little late for this project. The project was low value and was mostly intended for gaining experience with the tools, a small scoop for the wife.

Face shield? I have been trained to use risk management. Kidding of course, I have a cheap one but an upgrade is on my list.

Curtis: The wood was semi-dry cherry and I experimented with speeds from 500 to about 2600 and different cutter positions.

Gary: I wish you would not say that so loudly, love those Forstners.

Phil: Thanks for the info, I believe my neighbor has that video that I can get.

Steve: Thanks for the link, quite informative. Although my problems really started once the depth exceeded two inches or so. You are correct about the end grain.

Bernie: Unfortunately, I can see it being a while before I can use Raffan’s methods. The outside part I did with the tools you listed, a ½” spindle, a 3/8” detail gouge and a 1” skew from Doug.

Kyle: I do not have a Hunter but I believe the Ci0 cutter from Craig is similar. The Ci0 cutter I think would have worked if the ID had been a little larger. I put my cutter on a ½ x ½ square shaft and there was not enough side clearance and I did not want to change it as it works so well on other projects.

Brian: As some have suggested, I cheated. I used a Forstner bit and not having a scraper, finished up with 5/8” fingernail ground gouge. I first tried the 3/8 and ½” gouges but the chatter was much worse than the 5/8”.

Richard: A boring bar is on my list to build.

Due to my inexperience, I believe the relatively small ID in combination with the depth, is what caused me the difficulty. Any way it is done, I learned a lot and hopefully, the next one will be better.

Thanks again to everyone for sharing your thoughts.

I find the easiest way is to use a spindle gouge with a fingernail grind. In fact Ray Key uses a special grind on his to do the same thing. Just run it straight in the center with the end at a 45 degree angle, and it will drill straight in. Then make a sweep out to the edge. If it's freshly off the grinder it makes a very clean shear scrape. It's fast and easy.

I just started using my scraper. Its a great tool for hollowing, but it takes time. Still worth it to get the skill down.

I personally avoid using a square edge in a box. It's REALLY tough to sand....

Or does anyone know how to sand that corner?

I assume from your question that you're a beginner. As a beginner I'm sure that you're interested in learning how to turn. You've had several suggestions that you use a spindle gouge cutting from the center out toward the side. I agree. This will take some practice to get it right but it'll be worth the effort.

If you use a forstner bit to do your hollowing as has been suggested you won't learn how to hollow using turning tools. Most any experienced turner can hollow that small box with a spindle gouge before you can even set up to use a forstner bit.

Someone here recently posted a link to a video on hollowing small birdhouses. He did it in a couple of minutes using the spindle gouge. I suggest that you check that out.

Wally
    Last edited by Wally Dickerman; 07-13-2009 at 2:06 PM.