Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer: Dead as Doorknob

Computer: Dead as Doorknob

My Dell PC computer is completely dead. When I push the start button, nothing happens at all. No boot up at all. Not even a sound.

Just before this happened, I got a black screen with white text saying that the computer will restart in 24 seconds. It was an endless loop. I turned it off, and that was the end.

I'm guessing that the power supply is OK because it still powers a little green LED on the motherboard when it is plugged in.

Also, all the capacitors on the motherboard look fine (not bulged or leaking).

What would cause a computer to become stone dead?

-Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Powersupply

The green light may be on on the motherboard but still missing a voltage from the powersupply. You need to unplug the powersupply and check the voltages.

Does the fan on the power supply turn when you press the power button?

yup, sounds like the power supply.

The power supply is dead quiet. No difference whether it is plugged in or not. No fan noise. Not warm to the touch.

How do you check the voltage from the power supply? There is a large harness coming from the power supply consisting of multiple wires in every color. Do I just randomly check pairs for voltage?

-Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Makiel View Post
    The power supply is dead quiet. No difference whether it is plugged in or not. No fan noise. Not warm to the touch.

How do you check the voltage from the power supply? There is a large harness coming from the power supply consisting of multiple wires in every color. Do I just randomly check pairs for voltage?

-Jeff
    does the fan turn at all? How old is the computer? Can you get hold of another power supply to try in the computer?

That happened to a Dell I have a month after the warranty expired. I went to Fry's and got a new power supply for $29 and it's been fine since.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Could also be the video card isn't seated properly. When I was swapping cases, the new case didn't seat the video cards very well and I had a very similar problem where my PC wouldn't even POST. Fans would still power up though.

You could try flipping the 115v/230v switch on the power supply from 115v to 230v then back to 115v. Some power supplies have an internal circuit breaker type dealy hooked up with that. That has helped me in the past.

Also could make sure RAM is seated. That might cause a similar issue with no apparent boot up.

First thing to try is the power supply.
    "It's Not About You."

Loose ram or loose video card will also cause the symptoms you describe. In my experience, if the power supply is dead, it likely damaged other stuff when it died. You may get it running, but I wouldn't trust it.

Last half dozen or so computers I've fixed have all been power supplies. Almost universally, the power supplies in modern PCs are crap. Spend a little more (about $70) and get an Antec that supplies at least 25 amps on the 5v and 3.3v lines. Or just cut to the chase, www to new egg and get an Antec 500 Watt Earth Watts power supply. You are going to think it's more supply than you need, but you will be dodging all kinds of problems. It's money well spent.

12. You can check the power with a meter ... blacks are usually grounds, yellow is +12v and red is +5v on the 4 pin connectors. Some computers may use some non-standard leads; Compaq used to 15 years ago, anyway.

Pin Wire Color Signal 1 Yellow +12v, 2 Black Ground, 3 Black Ground, 4 Red +5v
    There's more for the normal wire harness at http://www.computerhope.com/help/ps.htm

I recently had the same type of problem happen when I tried to use an adapter to connect a harddrive to a system I built for a HTPC (low end -- pics and music only). It uses 40 pin IDE drives and I was attempting to install a SATA drive using a SATA to IDE adapter. Without the jumper on the right pins for "slave", the system acted like there was a problem with the power supply ... the fan didn't even come on. Very strange. When I removed the SATA drive and adapter, the system booted back up.
    Last edited by Frank Hagan; 07-04-2009 at 5:01 PM. Reason: formatting

Ordered a new power supply

I just ordered a new power supply via NewPowerSupply.com. They had the exact drop-in replacement for about $40 shipped.

I tried the red toggle thingy near the power plug. No dice.

I also check everything on the motherboard (memory, graphics card, sound card, network card, etc.). Everything seemed tight.

We shall see...

Thanks for the input,
    -Jeff

I concur about the antec power supply. they are all we use in our new computers, for over 5 yearsnow and almost 0 trouble with them.

doornail

That's dead as a doornail.

Nails on old school doors were hammered over from both sides so they were "dead"