Thread: can you name this wood species?

can you name this wood species?

Yesterday, I was at a local "lumberyard" here in San Jose with my wife picking up some stock to make a box that I've been promising her for some time now.

We had everything picked out and was in the process of running the credit card through the machine when my wife pointed and said... what's that wood called? Now this place carries all kinds of exotics, so its no surprise that it stumped me... but I asked the guy who was running my card through and he said... I don't know what you call it... I call it "poor man's cherry."

He ended up letting me take it for $1 because thats all that I had in my wallet at the time. I think piece has a nice figure, but is pretty twisted so I'm not sure I'll be able to get much thickness out of it.

Anybody know what this wood is called? I took a few pictures of it along with some "known" species that I had on hand for reference. Too me its a lot darker than cherry, almost that of the redwood (but not quite as red)...
    Picture 005.jpg

Here's a closup...
    Picture 008.jpg

Any ideas? Thanks!!

looks to me a lot like curly cherry heartwood or even some figured bubinga. just an educated guess from the pics, what does the edge grain and end grain look like i could probally tell much easier. also try going to your local library and grabbing a wood species book to find out. nice wood by the way too.
    Last edited by Adam Wissman; 07-12-2009 at 4:55 PM.

Birch maybe?

I will guess Cherry. Did i win

Looks like curly cherry to me, also, maybe with some sapwood in it. Getting it for a buck is a good deal. Cut it to lengths before you try to flatten it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The unknown wood's color is different in the two photos. So guessing from the color is difficult.

"poor man's cherry" often means alder. It is common in lumberyards on the west coast. A less-common possibility is madrone. It too grows on the west coast. It is somewhat pink, like cherry. It also has a large ratio of tangential to radial shrinkage, so it does have a tendency to twist and warp, like your board.

From the photo I'd guess curly soft maple (big leaf maple?) -- the darker patch of heartwood in the group picture makes me think maple more than cherry -- but it can be very difficult to correctly identify a wood if it's not right in front of you.
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 07-12-2009 at 7:57 PM.

It looks like cherry,but colors in photos are not true always. I have not seen cherry with a small curl myself. All I have seen had a large,wavy curl.

thanks for all the replies.

After milling it up this afternoon, I'm gonna say its cherry. I dont know why the guy said it was "poor man's cherry." I guess I could leave it in the sun for a few hours to see if it darkens like cherry should...

Here's a couple of photos after milling it flat. One is as milled, and the other is with a quick wipe-down with mineral spirits (to give the wife a preview of what it will look like finished). Pretty cool looking stuff for a buck!

Picture 005.jpg

Picture 008.jpg

Just might have to go back tomorrow to see if they have any more of this stuff!!! I'm guessing they wont sell it to me for $1 this time!!

I name it Andiana Sowersia, or Sowerswood.

You're very welcome.

First guess is cherry, but from your location, I think Jamie B. has some better ideas. Whatever it is, it is gorgeous! If you can tame the warp, the will certainly make a nice accent on a project - or a neat box.

Looks just like a slab of curly cherry I bought.

I think it's curly western maple.

I see a lot of it up here in Washington State and the color can vary from very light to reddish brown and everything in between.
    Last edited by John Michaels; 07-13-2009 at 9:24 AM.

If it is cherry, you should smell that sweet smell when you mill it, otherwise, it's something else. Sure is a nice piece of wood, whatever it is!

Barry

You've got it! after milling it up, that's what tipped me off. Its got to be cherry not only based on its appearance, but also the smell (even my wife thought so simply based on the smell).

Unfortunately, between the nasty warpage, and the tearout I was getting with that wonderful grain, I'm going to be left with something that's 1/2" to 5/8" thick... still manageable for a few small boxes.

I still think I'll stop back by again today to see what else they might have like this! Hopefully with less warpage... but hey, for a buck what do you expect?

Thanks all...

Andy