Thread: Is it this bad where you are?

Is it this bad where you are?

In the past month I have participated in two art walks in upscale artsy areas and the results could not have been worse.

The first one was in probably the highest income per capita area in the state, forty miles south of me. I sold nothing and beyond that almost no one showed any interest. I handed out ONE card.

The second one was in an artsy lake side area 90 miles north of me. Still no sales (not even a bottle stopper). There was more interest, several cards handed out but not ONE sale. Fortunately the cost to me was minimal.

I know in my area the unemployment is leading the country but these two walks were outside of my home area by quite a bit.

Toney

i found you can sell a little more if you have pictures of the things you could make. let make an album of the stuff you have made, and some of the things that other people on this site and others have made(that you are caplable of making of course!) so that they can see what is possible. some people dont realize that more things can be made than what they see on your table. i found this out after a couple people asked me. also there is a older couple at my church who have been doing craftshows for many many years, this was one of their tips. because then you also arent rushing to try to make all of your products before the show and then have the unsold ones sitting around afterwords.

yes sales have be much slower. even with living in a major tourist area like lancaster. quite a few times i have been tempted to say that they are hand made "AMISH" made peices, but i know that wouldnt be right
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Consider where you live. You live next to Michigan which currently has the worst unemployment rate in the nation at 14.1% (in May). Some predictions say it may go up to 20%. Your state also had 10.6% unemployment in that month.

I'm sure that has a great effect on sales of non-essential goods.

We all need to move to the Midwest huh?

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    make an album of the stuff you have made, and some of the things that other people on this site and others have made
    Surely you must be joking..........

Yep it is bad here too. I haven't even sold so much as a pen in the last couple of months.

Curtis why would he make a album if he has a display set up????? I don't understand that one.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

6. It hasn't been very good at shows so far this season. I've done 2 major national level shows and the numbers have been mediocre at best. My last show was at Boston Mills (Akron, Ohio area). I had great expectations for sales even in this lousy economy, but if it were not for 2 sales in the afternoon of the last day, I'd have been in a money losing situation. Yes, my work tends to be of the higher end ($12-$3400 price points), but this is a festival where the high end generally sells. At the Three Rivers Art Festival (Pittsburgh, PA), which is usually very profitable for me, I did half of my normal receipts.

At both festivals, the item that has been "feeding the dog" was wine bottle boards....Ya'know....Those balancing act display stands that always seem to amaze people. The thing is....They are really boring to make. I've sold nearly 100 of these at $15 each.......They have been my only consistent mover.

As for business cards, I've given out almost 500 and have only had 1 follow up from the 2 festivals.

Curtis....I have a festival in your area in early September. I'll let you know the specifics. I hope you'll stop by so we can have a looong talk.

H.

Quote Originally Posted by Toney Robertson View Post
    In the past month I have participated in two art walks in upscale artsy areas and the results could not have been worse.

The first one was in probably the highest income per capita area in the state, forty miles south of me. I sold nothing and beyond that almost no one showed any interest. I handed out ONE card.

The second one was in an artsy lake side area 90 miles north of me. Still no sales (not even a bottle stopper). There was more interest, several cards handed out but not ONE sale. Fortunately the cost to me was minimal.

I know in my area the unemployment is leading the country but these two walks were outside of my home area by quite a bit.

Toney

Toney --
    What towns were you in?
    I'm in Fishers and didn't know of anything that was going on. (especially if I'd have the opportunity to talk with another turner and even better one from here)

Even where I'm at I'm seeing declines in just about everything. Most of the 'farmers' at the area farmers markets have seen serious fall off on sales this year. Talking with the owner of our local WC, he's seen things off pretty significantly this year in comparison to the last couple of years.

I'd say that most of the state is either bracing or braced for hard financial times. Given that we're highly linked to manufacturing and that seems to have gone completely out the door (which is sad to see), many people are just not going to spend out of fear. I know that right now we're just now coming out the shadows from the time I spent unemployed last year...I'd think others may be in the same boat.

Just my $0.02 (which isn't even worth that given inflation).

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    and some of the things that other people on this site and others have made(that you are caplable of making of course!)
    Granted, I don't know what it's called when it comes to turnings and other things I've made, but I wouldn't be comfortable with that. Sounds a lot like resume "enhancement."
    Where did I put that tape measure...

..I have a festival in your area in early September. I'll let you know the specifics. I hope you'll stop by so we can have a looong talk.
    hummm , longs park ??

Times are tough

Toney, I guess I have a different perspective as I have never been to an art show, festival, craft fair or any thing where I would set up a booth and show my wares. I am invited to a showing starting this month on the 16th in St. Paul at the Wilder Center, this will be my first real show out of the gallery where I have my things already. So we will see how that goes, the turnings are already displayed and there has been tons of interest and many have requested more info and price information. In the last 3 months I have sold around $250 - $400 per month at the gallery and the consignment store together, with a little more locally by word of mouth and some on e-bay. I am not getting rich but the cashflow is consistent, but the highest price I have on anything is $400 and that is an 18" x 10 dia black cherry vase that has incredible color and spalting etc. The others are in the mid $100 range with lots in the $40 - $60 range and these are the ones that sell fast. I have made more on the tools and steady rests I make than woodwork. So who knows!

Good luck and stick with it.
    Jeff
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 07-13-2009 at 6:40 PM.
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Folks,

Just a little reminder....especially when discussing economics.

Political opinions, comments, commentary, remarks and implications violate the TOSs of this site.

If you want to comment on the economics, that's fine. Your political comments are in violation of the TOSs.

Thank you.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Iam about to find out...

My girlfriend Cheri and I will be doing a show in September.
    I hope this show isnt a bust because it will be our first.

I just finished my best show of the year, for the last 10 or so years, and it was down about 35 to 40%. This seems to be the norm for my other shows thus far this year, and my dad's manufacturing businesses. A lot of the other vendors seem to agree. Smaller priced things are selling better. If you have a lousy show, ask the others how they are doing. Also, you can trade/barter. That is how I do almost all my Christmas shopping. Do look for shows where there are tourists, as vacation time is the only time they will spend as much or more money on things as they do at Christmas.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Underwood View Post
    Consider where you live. You live next to Michigan which currently has the worst unemployment rate in the nation at 14.1% (in May). Some predictions say it may go up to 20%. Your state also had 10.6% unemployment in that month.

I'm sure that has a great effect on sales of non-essential goods.

We all need to move to the Midwest huh?
    Jim,

Around here (Kokomo) unemployment is already at 20% and it most certainly will rise.

I love the rust belt.

Toney

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hayes View Post
    Toney --
    What towns were you in?
    I'm in Fishers and didn't know of anything that was going on. (especially if I'd have the opportunity to talk with another turner and even better one from here)

Even where I'm at I'm seeing declines in just about everything. Most of the 'farmers' at the area farmers markets have seen serious fall off on sales this year. Talking with the owner of our local WC, he's seen things off pretty significantly this year in comparison to the last couple of years.

I'd say that most of the state is either bracing or braced for hard financial times. Given that we're highly linked to manufacturing and that seems to have gone completely out the door (which is sad to see), many people are just not going to spend out of fear. I know that right now we're just now coming out the shadows from the time I spent unemployed last year...I'd think others may be in the same boat.

Just my $0.02 (which isn't even worth that given inflation).

Chris
    Chris,

I participated in the art walk right next to you in Zionsville about two weeks ago. Last Friday I was in Winona Lake up by Warsaw. I nice lake town that caters to the arts.

Toney