Thread: Grinding wheel suggestions

Grinding wheel suggestions

I am currently using a 120 grit grinding wheel from Norton but it seems to be soft in that it doesn't take long for a groove to develop in it using the Wolverine VariGrind jig. Any suggestions for something harder? Also do many of you other turners hone your bowl gouges after sharpening them?

I use a 120 grit white Norton wheel, and I haven't had any problem with grooves developing. Are you pushing too hard? Are you doing a lot of heavy shaping on that wheel? Maybe try one of the SG wheels -- I think they are supposed to wear slower.

Also, try to move the tool around sideways on the wheel when grinding, so that you use the whole face of the wheel, not just a tiny spot in the center.

move the tool

I use norton stones. moving the tool across the face of the stone should help, also it takes just a very light touch. Same with dressing--you just want to clean it off and flatten it, it shouldnt take a lot of material off. i hone, especially on the skews, they cut much more easily for me and are easier to handle. do what works for you

Don - I use a 120 and 150 wheel and find that they will wear quite fast if you don't keep the tool moving and use very light pressure. I use the Vari-Grind jig also - just make sure that the weight of the gouge handle doesn't add to the pressure you are applying at the stone.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

One thing not mentioned yet...there are different hardnesses of wheels. You may want to try a harder wheel or step up to the Norton 3x blue wheels ($40 to $50).

I have no relationship with Norton...

On another forum just read that H hardness is definitely too soft, J is so-so, and maybe K is better. I have a white wheel that came with the grinder, probably 100 or 120, and hard enough that it does not get grooved. Requires frequent light dressing to remove metal, but does not wear away or get groovy. Would like to try a finer grit wheel, and as soon as they are giving them away free I plan to get one.
    Richard in Wimberley