Thread: Thank You for the Wood Gift

Thank You for the Wood Gift

My boss helped me cut down a silver maple in his yard last March. It had about 6 good sized burls on it. I finally finished a little thank you bowl for him and gave it to him today. The bowl measures about 100 in diameter and 4 inches tall. It's finished in about 6 layers of wipe on gloss poly and then two coats of spray gloss poly.

One of these days I need to get a good photo set up...lol

Your comments and critique is very much appreciated.

TIA,

Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bowl Description

Forgot to mention that the bowl is less than 1/8" thick at the rim and about 1/4" thick at the bottom. Thanks again.

Very nice! I like the turned in rim a lot. All of the bark inclusions are really cool, it almost looks like inlay, I love the pattern it made.

Great looking bowl Ken! Very nice form and it looks really thin! The finish sure brings out the character in the piece! I am sure your boss loved the bowl! Very nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Great wood and bowl! [Might wanna fix that number for diameter...]

Ooops

Thanks Norm. I didn't even notice the 100 inch bowl.......wish I had a lathe that would do that....lol The bowl is approximately 10" (TEN) inches in diameter

Ken

Great bowl

Ken, The shape and figure in the bowl works great with the bark inclusions as the gloss shows off everything. I think I like the shape the best, simple and elegant!

Nice job,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Thanks for your replies. This the first time I tried a lip like this. I was curious how much I could change the profile with a bowl roughed to approximately 1" thickness.

Thanks again,

Ken

Good looking bowl. Like the simple shape and finish.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Ken that turned out really nice and with a terrific shine.

John