Thread: PM 54A Vs. PM 54HH

PM 54A Vs. PM 54HH

can anyone tell me the pros and cons of each type of machine. I am asking regarding the traditional planer blades vs. the helical.

1. price of sharpening/ replacement
    2. Smoothness of cut
    3. ease of replacement of blades
    4. Have you used them and what do you think

If you think of anything else, let me know. In a year or so, I would like to get a new jointer, so I am starting my research now.

54HH - http://www.powermatic.com/Products.a...17K&cat=332160

54A- http://www.amazon.com/Powermatic-Del.../dp/B000BHNC0C

If you can swing it, get the helical head. I just installed one in my 54.

Advantages:

Indexing inserts. No knife changes, no fiddling with knife height.

Extended edge life with carbide. Four edges on each insert. Just turn them if they become dull or nicked.

Some say that helical heads are quieter. I haven't noticed.

Handles contrary grain better than straight knives. I don't worry too much about the surface, as I consider a jointer a dimensioning tool, not a finishing tool, but I get much less tearout with the helical head. I also run stock over the jointer without regard to grain orientation with no problems.

Carbide will handle more abrasive material (plywood, MDF, teak, etc.).

Disadvantages:

Cost.

I put a byrd head on my 54A. I agree with everything Jeff said but I do notice a big noise reduction with the helical head.

~mark

I've also read get the 8 inch, so the PM 60HH might be something to save for.

I have owned my last straight knife jointer and now have the Powermatic 54HH. As the others have said, get the helical head if there is any way possible. There is lightyears of difference in performance and the inserts are WAY easier to replace than any straight knife. I honestly can't speak to the frequency of changing the helical cutters because the first edge on my 2-year-old jointer (gets used a bunch) inserts still cuts perfectly. I took one out just to show how its done for a video but that's it. If all of them went dead right now, (fat chance) I still have another 6 years of edges (minimum) to go before I have to buy the first insert.
    I have a review of my 54HH at the link below if that would help.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/pm54hhrvu.html
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

Excellent review Tom. I liked the video. Thank you very much.

Yes its worth noting that the only thing wrong with my current jointer is that its only 6in. It has gotten me to use hand planes on wide boards, which is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Haus View Post
    I've also read get the 8 inch, so the PM 60HH might be something to save for.
    If you can swing that, do it.