Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you use face shields when routing?

Do you use face shields when routing?

Hello,

I知 just wondering how many of you wear face shields when routing (or for that matter, when doing other woodworking chores). I知 thinking about getting a face shield, especially to use in routing, since I知 a newbie when it comes to routers.

Opinions?

Thanks,
    Louis

Hi Louis, I do when routing and using the lathe, however for other machines I use safety goggles that fit over my prescription glasses.

Regards, Rod.

I wear safety glasses and if more than a quick cut, headphone style hearing protection and a respirator mask. If I had one of those powered mask/shield/helmet gizmos from Trend or whomever, I'd probably wear that...

Blog Entries
    I follows Norm's advice and always wear safety glasses and hearing protection when running the router in or out of the table.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I follows Norm's advice and always wear safety glasses and hearing protection when running the router in or out of the table.
    Pretty much a standard in my shop too. I've got all the options supplied at birth and have no intention of letting any go at my age.

Preserve Nature, think, look, and wear safety glasses.

Something you might consider...When I know there's a good chance something is going to hit me, I put on a chainsaw helmet. It's a hard hat, earmuffs, and face protection all in one. The face protection is a painted black screen, so it doesn't get all scratched up like most face-shields. With safety glasses on underneath, I feel pretty safe. It's a good solution for me.

Eye and ear protection always when routing, but I've only used a full face shield for turning or grinding (and when you're turning you're also doing a lot of grinding.)

I always wear safety glasses and usually hearing protection in the shop as my DC is pretty loud. Occassionally I'll wear a face shield at the lathe when roughing out a blank, especially if the bark is still on it. Usually, though, I just wear safety glasses.

There is a point for me where having to don a bunch of safety garb will outweigh the enjoyment of woodworking, since I do this as a hobby. If I ever feel the need to dress up in the equivalent of riot gear just to cut a board, I'll give up woodworking.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

You know, I never even CONSIDERED wearing one of those things until recently, when a 2 1/2" X 4" block (remaining piece from a cut on my table saw) flew up and caught me on the chin. Yes, I was wearing eye protection, but it dawned on me...had that hit me ANYWHERE else, I would have been in trouble!...Adam's apple, anywhere on the throat, mouth, cheek... I mean, it put a pretty nice gouge in my chin, and it was bruised for a couple of weeks.

NOTE: I have a 1 HP Ridgid TS2424. Not nearly your "powerful" saw.

Be careful...
    I drink, therefore I am.

10. no. I squint.

If I'm routing on the table or doing something where I am standing back from the router then it's just safety glasses. If the operation requires me to be down and watching what's going on, then it's a face shield. I had a router bit exploded on me once and I took a piece of the wing to the left forearm. At the time I only had on safety glasses and that convinced me that if my face was going to be that close to the operation, that I wanted my WHOLE face protected.

As for hearing protection - ALWAYS!

Be well,

Doc

Glasses/Safety Glasses, respirator with dust cartridges, and ear muffs here. Got to admit I'm not that good about remembering the latter since I always have glasses on and don't realize something is missing. Same thing happens when I'm at facilities for work where I need them. Occasionally I get caught because someone notices the lack of side shields.

I wear safety glasses but I don't like the face shields. I wear digital hearing aids and they have sound limiters in them so it's like wearing ear protection all the time.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I only wear a face shield when turning, but I wear safety glasses every time I am in the shop. I also rarely if ever am using any power tool without ear plugs.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Brandt View Post
    Hello,

I知 just wondering how many of you wear face shields when routing (or for that matter, when doing other woodworking chores). I知 thinking about getting a face shield, especially to use in routing, since I知 a newbie when it comes to routers.

Opinions?

Thanks,
    Louis
    I wear safty glasses at all times in the workshop and add a face shield when using table saw, miter saw, or router.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214