Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood storage

My vote (for those that have space or can afford) is not to store your materials in your shop. Materials take up a lot of space and if your shop is climate controlled through the seasons it not really a good idea at least for rough un-milled wood.
    I've got a 16x22 shop and I use it to earn a living and once had storage in there for all of a few months many years ago and was forever moving stuff to get to it or find space to work and move equipment. I keep loads of 4x8 sheets on hand sometimes and always have a stock of 12-14' 10"+ wide boards and that kind of stock consumes far too much space

My solution which worked for me at the time was having a dedicated 14'+ cargo trailer that I store all sheetgoods, lumber and offcuts in. I got the trailer initially for picking up materials and delivering stuff but I have not used it for that purpose in years and now it just sits beside the shop full of materials. My goal eventually is to go back to using it as a trailer or sell it and just build or buy a small storage shed in the backyard for the purpose of material storage (and of course yard tools). I use a triton wood rack on one side and the floor for my lumber and have vertical sheet storage (flat would be better if I had space). Its convenient having storage close by but usually very inconvenient in your actual work space.
    Last edited by Matt Tawes; 07-22-2009 at 9:37 AM.
    Matt Tawes
    Chesapeake Woodcraft