Thread: ''Greasy'' coffee table....?!?!

''Greasy'' coffee table....?!?!

My mom purchased an antique map drawer dresser. she's going to put some
    legs under it and make it into a large coffee table.

here's the thing. she has said that when she puts any paper products on it....after a while (a few hours or so) it appears to have leaked through.....

(think brown paper bag with spilled fries)

I would like to figure out if there is a finish that could be doing this....and how to possibly fix it.

thanks guys.
    matt

Try cleanning it with a clean rag. If it continues to bleed, then someone probably added an oil to make it look good. Continue to clean until it stops bleeding.

Last resort seal with shellac if needed.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Maybe linseed oil, not boiled linseed oil. Boiled linseed hardens, and is a common component in finishes. Unprocessed linseed oil does not harden. Perhaps somebody in the table's past didn't understand this distinction.

You can draw out the oil a number of ways:

The easiest is to keep wiping with a mineral spirits soaked rag every couple hours until the bleeding stops.

You can also speed up the bleed by putting the piece out in the sun or heat for a while. But be careful; if there's any uncured other finish on there, it can blister if it gets too hot.

If the tops not too big, you can sit a few full rolls of toilet tissue (flat side down) on the top. The hundreds of edges have great capilary action.

I just checked the weather in Oak Grove Missouri. Don't put it outside today because there is a 50% chance that the clouds will "bleed through" rainwater onto the top.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!