Thread: #7 Finished

Blog Entries

#7 Finished

This is the final picture of the plane rehabilitated in the fettling thread.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=114373

The paint is Rust-Oleum glossy.

A nice smooth coat of paint in the plane bed feels a lot nicer than a chipped and rusted plane bed. It doesn't make it work any better, but sometimes a tool feeling better may make it seem to work better.

It is cutting nice shavings and even with a few pits still in the sole and a little chip off the front, it is a nice plane.

Haven't decided what I am going to do with it as it is a duplicate. Have to decide which of my #7s is better liked and maybe sell one.

Old#7.jpg
    The plane as bought, no cleaning other than brushing off some dust.

#7 Finished.jpg
    The finished plane.

jim

Yanked from the brink of extinction by the persistent Koepke Quite a contrast, Jim!!

Nice

Jim

Thanks for taking the time to create the tutorial. The pictures really help. I've book marked this one for a couple (so far) of bay purchases.

Paul

Very nice Jim and a great tutorial.

I have a #8 that's just about done. I just finished making a replacement tote so if I get the body and frog painted this weekend I’ll post pics. I replaced the blade with a LV and I have to say it arrived flatter than the Hocks or LNs Ive picked up.

Let us know what you decide on the “extra” #7. I’m sure there are folks here who would be glad to help you clean out your shop.

RD

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    Very nice Jim and a great tutorial.

I have a #8 that's just about done. I just finished making a replacement tote so if I get the body and frog painted this weekend I’ll post pics. I replaced the blade with a LV and I have to say it arrived flatter than the Hocks or LNs Ive picked up.

Let us know what you decide on the “extra” #7. I’m sure there are folks here who would be glad to help you clean out your shop.

The paint I used spent a few days drying. It still felt a little soft as I put the plane back together. The weather here has been on the cool side recently. That may have influenced the drying a bit.

My skills at painting have never been anything to brag about.

jim

Jim, I think you mentioned somewhere what paint you use but I can’t remember. I was thinking of Rustoleum satin black. I used some gloss a while back and it is too shiny.

I don’t think I want to go the Japanning route.

RD