Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Akeda or Leigh for dovetails

I would also include the PC Omnijig in your list. I have been using mine (the 24" model) about a year now and have been extremely happy with it. It has a recipe card approach that makes it practically a no-brainer to use if you just follow the steps labelled on the jig. Even with that approach, it is still quite capable and adjustable for custom and variable settings.

One thing, no matter what jig you choose, is that you should review and include the various accessories and include these in your pricing. Despite their name (accessories) many of them are, in my opinion, necessities for really using the jig. Some of the accessories I'm thinking of include the dust collector, a full set of bits with an extra set for the most common size or sizes you will use, a full set of template guides/bushings, and any additional templates or stops for common joining designs.

When I was comparing jigs, I included the accessory costs for each and found that while the base jig price varied somewhat, the accessories costs tended to level out the price. So it ended up becoming more of a decision based upon the functionality that I wanted and felt comfortable with.

Also, have 2 routers in your stable if you don't already have them. Switching routers with a jig makes the work go considerably faster and consistently (since you don't have to readjust the bit depth every time you change from the dovetail to the straight bit).

I picked up a Leigh D4R a year ago. Most of the high points have been already highlighted:
    1) The documentation (DVD and book) is the best I have come across so far.
    2) I was drawn to the versatility of dovetail placement with this jig.
    3) I would suggest the Vacuum router support as it works quite well.
    4) The 8 mm bits are really sturdy and have stood up well.
    5) It was pricey ... but the quality makes it worthwhile.

Although I have not yet bought it, I liked the fact that I could buy the M2 template for making multiple mortise and tenons if I so desired.

Akeda

Works well for me for the past three or four years. While I am tempted to buy the big Leigh, it would be kind of like buying something I have no experience with to replace something that I know works with something I hope might work better. (The eternal desire.) (Went through two jigs before I got the Akeda.) Would also highly annoy my wife and besides, I want yet another hand plane.

Regardless, I use a clear baseplate I got from Pat Watner and I hook my Festool Vacuum to the dust collector hose thing and plug the router into it to turn it on. Works great. Have no problem with it. I would make the point that synergy is nice and I use the Festool with losts of my router operations but it really works well for the Akeda jig.

I had the Leigh D4 for a number of years and liked it very much. When Akeda introduced the 24" BC24 I decided to sell my D4 to a buddy and try the Akeda. I did this mainly just to try something new, not because I didn't like the Leigh. Well I've have to tell you that I really enjoy the Akeda. Set up is much easier, it's easy to balance the router on, and the dust collection really works.

Again, the D4 was a very good machine and mine was several years old; I have not used the current version.

Scott in Montana

I do like every thing I have read and seen on the Akeda, the only thing that really concerns me is replacement guides and parts down the road a few years. It does seem like a very small market with only two places to buy it. I just wonder how long they can survive in this market

After spending some time on the Leigh websites watching videos the leigh does not seem so intimadating, I kept reading about the steep learning curve of the Leigh, so I was a bit worried about it. Maybe if I think about it long enough one or the other will pop up on craigslist, but I have not seen either one yet.

I guess you could buy an extra set of guides if you were concerned. However, on most jobs you only use several of them, so you would have plenty of spares in case you break/lose one.

They also use bits that are a little different from standard, but I purchased an extra set from Whiteside (for the shocking price of $189).

In my opinion there is no perfect jig - you have to remember that the audience starts to shrink as they add features. The really sophisticated folks are probably cutting their dovetails by hand anyway and aren't looking to a jig.

Roger