Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Glaser V10 Bedan Tool

bill, the tool was $109 shipped; free posting due to the order being over $100. I've tried it twice, using it bevel down; it kept wanting to catch as I used it on end grain, trying to make a tenon. I'm hoping it works better on face grain when I try and make a tenon on a bowl tomorrow. will post again on that result. mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Minto View Post
    it kept wanting to catch
    Have you sharpened it? Makes a huge difference!

I use a bedan (bevel down) to cut tenons on face grain quite often and it works very well. I have used it on end grain too and don't remember any problems. Seems to work better than the alternatives (at least for a dovetailed tenon).

Which distributor?

Where did you purchase the tool?

Blog Entries

bench

what did you do with the stuff off the bench

got the tool from 'highland woodworking'. stuff off the bench? what's that, john? mike

Blog Entries
    the bench its empty .i have to look for 5min for a place just to set a cup of joe

oh, i got you - kitchen island, haha. mike

highland's glasers are gone!

just got off the phone with Highland woodworking - they sold out of the last handful of Glaser's they had - did you guys here on the creek snap them up after i got this bedan, and posted about them having some? just wondering...mike

Hi Mike,
    Yes, I did. Ordered them this morning. They did have a skew left. Thanks for letting us know about the tools. Have been waiting patiently for one, don't know why I didn't think to call Highland earlier.

Terry

terry, glad you got a tool (some tools?); thought i'd order another this week, but they told me they were ALL gone when i called today (told them i posted here regarding the tools); as i was thinking earlier, those 5 tools highland had might have very well been the last 5 glasers on the planet available for sale! mike

steve, how many differences does it take to make one tool different from another (metal, angle...)? mike

Glaser Tools

Hi Mike,
    You might also try Woodcraft of Honolulu....yes, I know, Hawaii of all places. Anyway I ordered a 1/2" U bowl gouge for $140.00. Wanted a 3/4 U bottom bowl gouge, but I settled because that was what they had. Their phone number incase you are interested is (808) 841-9876.

I bought both the 3/8 and 1/2 bedan from Highland Hardware this morning.

I also called Austin Hardwoods in Santa Ana, CA today to see if they had any in stock. Spoke with Steve Morris...he said call back in a few months as supposedly Glaser Hitec is making more tools. He also said the company kept putting their orders on backorder, more than once. The number there is (714) 953-4000.

Let's hope Stuart Batty will get his tool line up and running this year.

Regards,
    Terry

Hey Mike,

I was visiting Atlanta last Tuesday, in order to meet a HS friend I hadn't seen in 54 years. Got there early and hung around Highland Hardware. Saw the Glasers (2 bedans, a skew, and two beading tools) but didn't think to buy them. After I returned to Columbia, I waited until Thursday and then called. They only had the one skew and one beading tool. The fellow asked me why all the sudden (lots of people had called) interest, and I told him about your post. Anyway, got the beading tool. I've used a Sorby bedan to make tenons for bowl turning and I like it a lot. If you turn the tool clockwise a bit it will make the dovetail tenons as well. Thanks for the heads up.
    Hilel.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

Speaking of Glaser tools, I happen to have 2 UNUSED Glaser 3/8" bowl gouges, V10 with red handles - I'm looking to sell them, $175, shipped in the lower 48 states; not being made anymore, let me know fast!