Quote Originally Posted by David Eisan View Post
Here is my own story,

I had a customer come in the store and the first thing he asked is why he should buy here (only independent left standing in a city of 300K) instead of the BORG. I told him because our prices are the same or less, we service what we sell and we know what we are talking about.

He came in to buy an impact and a circular saw. I spent over an hour with this guy showing him the various brands we sell and allowing him to test various impacts and drills. He had asked about a Makita accessory kit ($50) and I told him it was free with any Makita purchase over $500. He ended up buying an LXT401 minus the 'cip saw and the flashlight (hammer drill and circular saw in kit bag). The price was really cheap. I had credited back the two tools he didn't want at full pop.

I was out at a school yesterday looking at guarding issues. When I got back, I noticed there was a returned Makita kit. Turns out he returned it saying he found it at a lower price at the BORG. I asked today if the free accessory kit came back, and it turns out it didn't. I don't blame the staff member, I had commented to everyone that it was the hardest sale I had had in a long time and the staff member figured out this guy was him and was in a hurry to attend buying customers.

There is no chance he found it at a lower price. He found something of a similar description and assumed it was the same.

How would you deal with customers like this?

David, Tool store Manager.
That's what makes retail such a cut throat business. The customer profited from your expertise but rewarded a the BORG with the sale. Happens all the time from my understanding.