Thread: Master Bath remodel, lots of molding & beadboard

Master Bath remodel, lots of molding & beadboard

Finally finished our Master bath remodel a while back. The moulding and paint ideas came from a brochure my wife found at one the borgs. I didn't take any before pictures but the original bath was a very basic room we had thrown togeather as cheap as possible when we first built the house 19 years ago.

I matched the moulding from the brochure as best I could. Two of the profiles were custom grinds made for me by Tim Yunger of Custom Moulding Knives to fit my Shop Fox planer/moulder. He makes some great knives for a fair price. The rest was done on my router table with stock bits.

The room was completely rearranged from the original. We now have sererate 4' vanities and a wall to ceiling cabinet with sliding drawers. The vanities both have sliding drawers under the sinks to allow easier access around the drain piping.

I put in a new 3x5 shower to replace the old 3x3 that we had. The project also included new doors and flooring. Take a look and enjoy.

vanity1.jpg

vanity2.jpg

shower1.jpg

Window2.jpg

Mirror1.jpg

Very Nice job! Remodeling our master bath has been on my list for awhile... I'll have to give these pictures to my wife for inspiration!

Nice work Paul, thanks for posting.
    We have our master bath I hope to fix up, but that is likely years away. (Just bought house 1 year ago)

Looks great, we just redid one of our bathrooms after about 19 years we were going to do bead board but just went with a chair rail and two tone paint,

we put in the same light fixture as you did expect I put our bulbs up instead of down.

I could not believe how much time it took me do do it. My wife thought it would be a 3 day project she spends to much time watching HGTV they make it look like you can do anything in a weekend.
    Thank You
    Ed

Here's a few more pictures of the moulding detail. The chair rail is a 4 piece buildup and the door casing is a 3 piece. The baseboard is just a simple router bit profile. The only moulding that is store bought is the shoe mould. We bought some cheap mirrors at Home Depot and I built the mirror frames.

molding detail2.jpg

molding detail1.jpg

basebd&floor1.jpg

Excellent job Paul!
    What is the material?

Looks good, nice job!!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cole View Post
    Excellent job Paul!
    What is the material?

It was some kiln dried red oak left over from when I built my son's kitchen cabinets. I'm lucky enough to have access to alot of logs and get them sawed into lumber and dried as needed.

Unfortunately we don't have Poplar down here or I would keep a good supply of it. The Oak leaves an interesting surface when painted. From a distance you can't see the grain but when you get up close you can. I just like the look of a shiny white paint job with a little grain showing underneath.

The beadboard is 4x8x3/8 exterior pine ply siding that we sanded. The pine is a little grainy also so it matches the oak trim.
    Last edited by Paul Greathouse; 07-17-2009 at 4:24 PM.