Thread: Rocking chair complete

Rocking chair complete

I started this ages ago but it was then put on the back burner as other projects took over. Finally I had time to complete.

Wood is walnut and finished in hand rubbed poly. Rockers and back slats are bent lamination.

This rocker sits comfortably and rocks very well.

Thanks for looking
    Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images

Excellent Adam!! Is that your own design? I really like the lines of the rocker and the way the back is slender. Very nice.

As stated by John.. it's got nice flow and I like it. Nice tight joints you have produced there. So.. the whole thing just well... Rocks!

Well done...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Excellent work, Adam.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hey Adam,

That is one nice piece of work!! I'm not sure about the slender back look yet, but I have a feeling it will grow on me. Couple of questions; Are the pegged joints just decorative, or are they mechanical? How did you accomplish the shaping, hand tools or powered? Any chance of seeing a couple of pics of where the legs meet the rockers?
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

Simply awesome. I love the lines of the chair from all of the angles you have shown. This is the kind of work I aspire to build one day. Great job on all of the shaping.

WOW! Very nice!
    Wood is very beautiful in tree form. Wood is very useful in burning form. I merely try to make my work honor the first, avoid the latter, and aim for the middle: beautiful and useful.

Nice job. Real nice job!

Looks like that would be one comfortable rocker.
    Any more details on the construction of it?

Thanks for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    Couple of questions; Are the pegged joints just decorative, or are they mechanical? How did you accomplish the shaping, hand tools or powered? Any chance of seeing a couple of pics of where the legs meet the rockers?
    Joints are not pegged, they are plugs, woodscrews behind them. Shaping is started with the bandsaw, then a combination of rasp/ dremel/ sanding to finish. Mostly rasp work. Leg to rocker joint is a dowel same as the arm to leg.

Quote Originally Posted by gary Zimmel View Post
    Any more details on the construction of it?
    What would you like to know? I'd be happy to answer

Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images

Adam, were you working from a set of plans, or was this your design? Also, what is the max thickness of the required stock?

I have given some thought to the Hal Taylor rocker, but I really like this design, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Excellent Adam!! Is that your own design? I really like the lines of the rocker and the way the back is slender. Very nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Adam, were you working from a set of plans, or was this your design? Also, what is the max thickness of the required stock?

I have given some thought to the Hal Taylor rocker, but I really like this design, as well.

John,
    My design. No plans here straight from rough cut to final product using my eye and sitting in it for a fit test many many times. I have a rocker in the house that rocks the way I like so I took the rocker form from that. The sculpted form comes from Sam. The back legs (how they curve in and out) and shape of the arms are inspired by Scott Morrison's Butterfly Occacional Chair. I love the lines of the B-chair but don't care for the head rest. Unfortunately Scott wrecked the butterfly chair when he did it in the rocker- he lost the great lines.

Adam

I use 8/4.

Thanks Adam! I was hoping for an easy way out here - as in, a set of nice detailed plans that you had found somewhere. But then, not much in life worth having comes easy!

Again, great job, and ever so much better since it is truly a unique work of art creation.