Thread: Price on Delta DC380

Price on Delta DC380

I have a chance to buy 2 Delta DC380 planers. One is 8 yrs old, the other the guy says is about 5 yrs old. Niether come with a mobile base or extra knives, and the newer one is an hour further away and also is cheaper. My question is what would be a fair price for one? I've been hanging around here for about a year and you guy all seem to be pretty knowledgeable and helpful with this sort of stuff

In this neck o' the woods, they typically go for around $750, plus or minus depending on condition and extras included. I'd say that given the lack of a mobile base or extra knives, shoot for the low end, maybe around $600-$650. Oddly, these things seem to vary a lot with location, so your market could be drastically different...

I paid $600+ for mine 3 years ago. Machine was in mint condition. Included were a fresh set of knives. No mobile base, so I built myself one. But I did buy it from a friend, so my price may not be the same as yours.

mine was $1200 with shelix

I paid $1200 for one about 6 months ago with a Byrd shelix head and a so-so mobile base. It also had a Wixey height guage. It seemed somewhat high to me, but it was the only one around that I could find so I took it. It planes beautifully and it was quiet so it was hard to pass up.

One was just advertised today in the Minneapolis area for 550.00. No clue on condition (not mine).

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/tls/1275029090.html

I paid $325 for one that needed quite a bit of TLC but was mechanically sound. Maybe three years ago? Nice planer in that size, simple, accurate, dependable.

I bought mine new in 2002 for $999, delivered (with mobile base, and extensions). I have the opinion that used tools should be somewhere around 1/2 the price of new, so I think $500 would be my starting price, and go up and down for whatever reason makes sense. The Delta mobile base for that planer was recently offered on amazon for about $45, I picked one up to use under my TS outfeed cabinet.
    I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be. (Merle Haggard)

Double check the motor on the 8 yr old DC380, it might be only 2 hp vs 3 hp on the new one.

Finally Bought one

I went this weekend and looked at them. I ended up getting the 8 yr old machine. It was in excellent condition, only used by a home hobbyist. It has the 3 h.p. motor. I got it for $450 no mobile base but made one today. I just ordered 2 new sets of knives so when they come I can finish dialing it in. Man that thing was heavy, and of course it was in his basement. Thanks for all your info

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Reece View Post
    I paid $1200 for one about 6 months ago with a Byrd shelix head and a so-so mobile base. It also had a Wixey height guage. It seemed somewhat high to me, but it was the only one around that I could find so I took it. It planes beautifully and it was quiet so it was hard to pass up.
    Was that Alan's old planer? Small world-huh?