Thread: belt/disc Sander combos.

belt/disc Sander combos.

What type of belt/disc sanders do you all use, & why?
    I'm looking to buy, but am on a somewhat limited budget. I was looking at the Grizzly 1040zx. What do you think of this machine?
    Also looking at the rikkon models & the Jet.
    Thanks,
    John
    NOTHING beats a failure,but a try.
    -------------------------------------------
    Have a Blessed Day,

JMC

I had a General model 100 for years, great machine.

Vibration free, powerful, nice cast iron construction with no flex.

I'd buy one again if I needed one, however it was a purchase that took up space and was seldom used.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. It went down the stairs a lot easier than it went up when it was sold. Either the acceleration due to gravity has increased, or I'm getting older.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 07-20-2009 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Added P.S.

Do you mean the G1014ZX?
    http://grizzly.com/products/Combinat...-Stand/G1014ZX

I have the Z model (same guts I think) and I like it. It's nothing special, just a tool that does the job the way it should.

Maybe Another Option

I bought the combination machine, used, several years ago. I use it frequently for deburing metal, beveling edges, grinding down screws, etc. However, in most cases I found it to be too small of a belt/table size, etc. for most woodworking tasks.

So now I bought a used edge sander and am finding that to be a very useful tool in the woodworking shop. I am now trying to decide if I need to keep both tools or if I should sell the combo machine.
    Wood'N'Scout

I have an old Rockwell with a 12" disc and a 6 by 48" belt. I use the disc a lot, but I don't even run a belt on it. I don't think I've used the belt in 15 years. It's just too small for most things, and hard to control for small stuff.

If buying today, I'd much rather have a larger disc only machine. Jet sells a nice 12" disc only.

I bought a Griz 1276 some 7-8 years ago, and found I use it so little it's kinda sitting in the middle of my shop floor waiting for me to figure out if I'm going to craigslist it. I know a lot of guys use the dickens out of 'em, but that just never seemed to be the case with me.
    I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be. (Merle Haggard)

Shopsmith's disk Sander is 12". The belt sander attachment is pretty nice too. Not too sure you can pickup the belt sander for a song, but the choir is always in good voice where base Shopsmiths are concerned...

Thanks for the replies,everyone.
    Yes Matt, it is the Grizzly model you mentioned;sorry I was in a rush when I posted. Steve, I'm thinking along the same lines as not using the belt very often; so maybe the disc only machine will serve me better. Anyone know of the Rikkon disc sander?
    Joe, we use the old Rockwell machine in work. You just can't kill the thing. What a workhorse. I wouldn't have space for it.
    Rod, I can sure relate to the down vs up situation. At my shop - it's straight in & straight out!
    John
    NOTHING beats a failure,but a try.
    -------------------------------------------
    Have a Blessed Day,

JMC

I am making my own 12" disc sander using an extra motor I have. Right now, I have a benchtop 6" disc/4" belt sander combo , that I will get rid of when I can find a good deal on a stand alone belt sander. (I won't try to "make" one of those!)
    I drink, therefore I am.