Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you have read topic “Grizzly G0691 problem” PLEASE READ THIS!

Exclamation If you have read topic “Grizzly G0691 problem” PLEASE READ THIS!

To all those who have read and/or responded to my thread about the arbor problem with the G0691 table saw. I am starting this new thread because I don’t want this announcement buried and lost in the original.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH MY SAW! I AM AN IDIOT.

I WAS INSTALLING THE WASHER ON BACKWARDS!

There I said it now I will take whatever comes.

I want to apologize to Grizzly and everyone who read or replied for wasting their time and energy. I also request that the moderator if possible close and delete the entire thread.

I had it in my head that I was doing things right and let frustration cloud my reasoning skills.

Just ignore my posts from now on.

Sorry to everyone.

I'll try and make you feel better, or at least know you aren't alone in making silly mistakes like this...

I had over a year of downtime riding my motorcycle after an accident. Took awhile to 'get back on the horse' but I did.

After sitting so long, carbs got gummed up. Had bike tuned up, carb cleaned and all fluids replaced at a shop. Ran beautifully.

A week later I go to start it for the first time after taking it home from the shop. Can't get it to start for the life of me!! Beautiful summer day, fresh gas and a bike that should work but won't.

Got it started and brought it back to the shop... let it cool down and showed them the problem.

The guy let out a small laugh, smiled, looked at me, set the choke into the right position and off I went. I was using the choke backwards, closing it when I thought I was opening it, opening it when I thought I was closing it.

By the time I put my gear back on and rode away, I saw the mechanic talking to a group of guys with nice bikes hanging out there and they were all laughing.

Your not alone in making mistakes like that!!

You can be sure I will never forget again the proper operation of the choke on my bike, and I am sure you will never forget the right direction to put the washer on the arbor!!

Thanks for the pick me up but i need to take my lumps and bumps for this one. I feel so stupid. I really don't like giving false impressions about things even if it is unintentional

I just wanted to compliment you for 'fessing up' to your mistake. Takes a man to admit they made a simple mistake and apologize for it.

Besides the thread was interesting reading, especially the offers of help you got.
    Wood'N'Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kohn View Post
    I just wanted to compliment you for 'fessing up' to your mistake. Takes a man to admit they made a simple mistake and apologize for it.

Besides the thread was interesting reading, especially the offers of help you got.
    Thank you Steve. I could'nt leave that one hanging out there. Just too much being said. You are correct about the offers, folks never cease to amaze.

Nice!

Just recently this guy carefully marked and drilled pilot holes for a piano hinge on a project of mine and he drilled the pilot holes two sizes too large! What an idiot! I'd lock him out of the studio (garage) if I could but then I would never be able to use it.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hathcoat View Post

I WAS INSTALLING THE WASHER ON BACKWARDS!
    Not long ago I learned that circular saw blades don't work so good installed backward.

Just ignore my posts from now on.
    Nope. A guy who owns up when he's put his foot in it is worth listening to.
    “I don’t have a lot of tools because it doesn’t take many to make furniture.” - Rob Millard

Joe, I had a similar problem with my new saw.

I was installing the splitter/guard and couldn't get it to line up with the blade.

I called the retailer who passed my concern on to the manufacturer.

The service Technician from the manufacturer telephoned me to arrange an appointment for a free service call, and we were able to discern that the assembly instructions were for a right hand saw, and not applicable to a left tilt saw.

The square spacer went on the other side of the splitter, aligning it with the saw blade perfectly.

The service Tech then offered to come over anyway and install the guard and make sure I didn't have any other problems.

That was customer service, not the take apart a new machine yourself, and send us the part.

The company? General.

The saw was one of the first model 650 left tilts, and the manual left a lot to be desired, to say the least.

Fortunately their customer service was exactly what I would expect, and why I would buy another General machine in the blink of an eye.

I'm glad to hear that all is well for you, even if it's a bit embarrassing.

Regards, Rod.

Alls well that ends well

It shows a lot about you that you owned up instead of just letting the other thread die. And I wouldn't get too upset at yourself. I've done a few of those things myself. Usually I have the wife look at it and confirm that I'm not missing something. As a total non-woodworker/non-mechanical person, she really brings the obvious to light many times.

Well let's see some sawdust coming off that saw now.

Mea Culpa

Dude, you're not the only one who has made silly mistakes. Don't ask me about the time I learned how a Festool circular saw is capable of cutting the cast iron top of a PM-66.

We've all been there.

Glad it all worked out.

Regards,

John

From someone who's eaten his fair share of crow, good for you for admitting your mistake.

The only thing I'd make fun of you for is if your wife pointed out the mistake to you. That didn't happen did it?

Now, go and enjoy your new saw!!

Was it when I mentioned that I'd make the blade side of the washer hollow that you realized it was backwards? I commend you for admitting mistakes. I do that also. You can get flustered and mess up. It is also very possible for nearly anything to be wrong with Chinese machinery,though. Well,I guess I don't have to unpile my big lathe,which is currently behind 2 amplifiers and various other guitar stuff. Lately I've only used the Hardinge. Been doing some small work.

Blog Entries
    Many years ago I bought an attic fan. I spent several hours preparing to install it, including laying out and marking the ceiling for the cut out. Just before I started cutting the sheetrock I decided I would check the attic to make sure I was not going to cut into electric wires or anything else that would be in the way. Turns out the house didn't have an attic. Only about 6 to 8 inches between the ceiling joists and the roof. Man did I feel dumb. My wife told her best friend about it, whose husband was the editor of the local newspaper. He mentioned it in his column about the guy he knew that tried to install an attic fan in a house without an attic, and oh well.... Let's just say it wasn't one of my finer moments.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

You are a stand up guy, Joe. Thanks for clearing up that issue and admitting your mistake. I'm not sure everyone would be man enough to do that on a public forum.

I'll bet you are glad that you decided not to ship the TS back, huh? That's a testament to going with a logical solution rather than being anal about a perceived problem. Good on ya.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

If it was me, I would have said that I installed the washer in the correct direction, but the saw was delivered backwards.

-Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.