Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off topic - storm photos

Off topic - storm photos

I thought you guys might like to see some lightning photos I took in the last 24 hours. The 3 with the lake were taken about 9:30 last night. The 2 with the cactus were taken around 5:15 this morning.

I LOVE monsoon season.

Jason
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very cool! First cactus pic might become my new wallpaper!
    Last edited by James Roberts; 07-22-2009 at 12:16 AM.
    Call me Jim, James seems so stuffy.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

sweet pictures

Jason,
    Great Pictures!
    Bill

Those are quite spectacular!
    -Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

I remember some of those storms when I was stationed in Fort Huachuca in the 60's. My wife and daughter used to hide in the bathroom until they were over! I now live in the lighting capital of the US - Florida!

Cool photos Jason.

What was your exposure time on them?
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Very nice Jason! I love storms. Thanks for sharing.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Excellent photos Jason! I am also curious as to camera used and settings to get such photos! Very nice! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Great pictures. We had some boomers throuh here last night as well.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

the middle photo is my fave but all of them are great... watch out you don't get french fried!!!!

Thanks for the kind words all.

I shoot with a Canon 10D digital SLR with a Sigma 15-30mm lens. Exposure mode was Bulb and the exposure time varied from 15-60 seconds with 20-25 the most common. (I believe the EXIF data is intact if you're computer savvy and want to see specifics on a specific photo). It takes hundreds and hundreds of exposures to come up with just a handful of keepers.

It also requires a sturdy tripod, a remote release to trigger the shutter, TONS of advance planning, and a bit of a death wish. I've had a couple of close calls (150 yards or less, the lightning strike and the thunder are nearly simultaneous at that distance) over the years but nothing that's prevented me from heading back out again. The last thing that's needed is TONS of patience. It's incredibly frustrating to miss a massive bolt because its just out of frame or because you were in between exposures.

Jason

Being an avid photographer myself (with the same camera by the way), I must say those are spectacular catches. I know the feeling of shooting lightening as I've spent many an hour and hundreds and hundreds of shutter clicks pursuing them as well. But when you get just one, it's worth it all. And you've scored a handful. Congrats and again, nice shots.

Be well,

Doc

Jason,
    Have you ever considered one of these... http://www.lightningtrigger.com/ ?

Dick, I've looked into a couple of times but at $329 plus a $55 cable it's out of my budget and I prefer my hands on method.

Jason