Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Better method for flushing up plywood edges

Strange as it may sound coming from me, I use my low-angle block plane to take things down "almost" to where it needs to be and then a cabinet scraper or sanding to finish it off. This does require taking a little care, but works well...and you can still listen to the radio while processing those edges.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton
    I use something like Steve's offset base to trim lumber edges in a somewhat different situation. I fairly often put edging on all four edges of a panel -- for instance for doors or desk tops. Typically I miter the ends of the edging and glue them all on before I trim them flush to the surface. My hand-plane technique doesn't work. Mike's style of jig hangs up near the corner, and flush-trim router bits don't work cleanly either. I'm not sure the fancy lipping planers which Steve mentions will work well there. Steve's offset base approach can be made to work even into the corner. The part sliding on the panel needs to be pointy so it will fit in there. I can't tell from Steve's pic, but I think it is straight, and so wouldn't quite do what I'm describing.
    Your right Jamie. The jig above does not work for four sided items. In those cases I use my lipping planer or I have another jig similiar to Steve's. The only difference is it has an additional offset. For a four sided piece, you need to get to the outside of the trim and work your way in. Therefore, the router base is not completely flat across the bottom. The area under the router is about 1/2" less in thickness from the base that rides on top of the piece. This way I can start with the router bit (Planer Bit) outside of the trim.
    "Create a Vision...then make it a reality" (Some Assembly Required)

Mike Palmer

Okay, here's pix of my router device which trims lumber edging applied to four sides of a panel.

The first pic is from the top side. There's no edge to be trimmed in this picture; imagine it on the right side of the board, directly under the router bit. Notice the big counterbalance at the left side of the jig. One issue with this offset technique is that you can tilt the jig and gouge the edging. The counterbalance reduces that threat. This particular jig is a U-channel so that it is nice and stiff all the way out to the right, where half the weight of the router rests.

The second pic is the underside of the device. The area to the left of the bit slides on the panel face. The area to the right of the bit hangs off the edge of the workpiece, and exists only to support the router itself. Notice that the area to the left of the bit is pointy, and fits into corners so the jig can trim edging on all four sides.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jamie, I don't get exactly how your jig works. Will it work on 3/4" wide banding? Is it limited by the distance between the points on the jig bottom? O.K. last question Is that a handle on the left side in the first pic? It would seem that one of the triangular bases would have to be thinner for this to work. I'm sure it does; I just can't figure it out. Thanks Alan in Md.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Tolchinsky
    Hi Jamie, I don't get exactly how your jig works. Will it work on 3/4" wide banding? Is it limited by the distance between the points on the jig bottom? O.K. last question Is that a handle on the left side in the first pic? It would seem that one of the triangular bases would have to be thinner for this to work. I'm sure it does; I just can't figure it out. Thanks Alan in Md.
    Alan, this discussion has wandered a little bit away from your original question. I use this jig only when I'm working on edging which is applied to multiple edges on a panel. If you're doing just one edge, which is commonly the case, I prefer the handplane method I discussed earlier in this thread.

However, to answer your questions about this router jig...

* It can work on banding which is 3/4" wide. As you surmise, the gap between those points would need to be at least 3/4". There's really no reason for mine to be as close as they are. The plywood to the right of the points exists only to support the router. I could remove it almost all the way out to the screw which goes up into the router, and there would be no difference in performance or operation. In operation, this whole area to the right of the bit doesn't touch anything. It just hangs out in space off the panel.

* I think the thing that you're seeing as a handle is what I was calling a counterweight. It is a pile of big steel washers I happened to have around. Come to think of it, I might actually use it as a handle. The hazard with this kind of jig is that it can tilt down to the right, and the bit will gouge the top of the edging -- accompanied by lots of very bad language. Downward force on the left side prevents that tilt.

Did I answer your questions?

Alan, I try not to put myself in the situation of needed to get a front edging flush.

For most fixed shelves that I make, I leave about a 1/8" lip overhang by the face frame.

For adjustable shelves, prior to glueing on the front edging, I will take a chamfer bit in a trim router and remove a 1/16"th or less of corner. I do this in the MDF, plywood or solid wood - whatever the shelf is made from. I do the edging too. Putting a chamfer on both pieces leaves a "v" groove between the pieces, and allows you to be a little off. Since there is a change in plane, your eye is not as apt to see an edging that is a bit high or low. And, everything can be sanded prior to applying the edging.

Now, for that high $$ piece, I won't do this. But, for the majority of stuff, it's a good, fast way to go. Todd

One more thought...

I almost never make edge-banding which is 3/4" thick. I more often aim at 3/16" or so. 3/4" edging is a lot of work to trim flush, plus it adds to your material costs. 3/16" doesn't have those issues. Go much thinner than 3/16", and you can't reliably run it through the planer to get a clean glue face. Also, go thinner than 3/16 and you may not be able to round over the corners or bevel 'em or whatever you do.

Jamie

I get it now.

Thanks Jamie, you cleared up my questions on the jig. What you say makes sense about using 3/16" for the edging. But I'm following plans and that is what they call for wrapping a 3/4" plywood panel. Thanks for the ideas. Alan

Hi my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch
    Alan, I try not to put myself in the situation of needed to get a front edging flush.

For most fixed shelves that I make, I leave about a 1/8" lip overhang by the face frame.

For adjustable shelves, prior to glueing on the front edging, I will take a chamfer bit in a trim router and remove a 1/16"th or less of corner. I do this in the MDF, plywood or solid wood - whatever the shelf is made from. I do the edging too. Putting a chamfer on both pieces leaves a "v" groove between the pieces, and allows you to be a little off. Since there is a change in plane, your eye is not as apt to see an edging that is a bit high or low. And, everything can be sanded prior to applying the edging.

Now, for that high $$ piece, I won't do this. But, for the majority of stuff, it's a good, fast way to go. Todd

I haven't seen you here for a while. That's a neat trick with the "V" groove and I'm going to try that some day. Take care, Alan