Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on bandsaw blade thickness.

Opinions on bandsaw blade thickness.

I have recently acquired a Laguna LT14SUV. I'm now shopping for a dedicated resaw band. I think I'm pretty much settled on a Trimaster. When I bought the saw I also bought a selection of steel blades from Laguna. Among them was a 1" 3TPI blade. At the time I questioned the ability of this saw to properly tension a blade this wide and was told it was no problem. I no longer have any concerns about that. What concerns me is that the thickness of the blade is .035". In scanning old threads, it seems that many feel that a saw this small should be fitted with a thinner blade. What say You? Am I asking for trouble with a blade this thick? And if so, what is the maximum thickness that I should run on this saw? Also, does blade width in any way affect the thickness of the band I could run on this saw?

A 1" band is probably overkill for a 14" saw, but it wouldn't hurt to load it up and try it. Anyone who tells you a hard and fast rule for what you can run is making it up. Look for responses from people who actually have that saw, or just get some experience with what works best.

The force necessary to tension the band is proportional to the cross-sectional area of the band (width X thickness), so wider and thicker blades want more tension. Thicker bands especially also want more horsepower. When it comes to resaw, what delivers optimal results varies by machine. My normal resaw band on my 20" old iron machine is a 1/2" 3TPI, works great so that's what I use.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Bradley; 07-22-2009 at 7:17 PM.

IMO, in my experience, and for what it worth, a Timberwolf 0.035" thick 3/4" blade is tto thick for the (or atleast my) Grizzly G0513X2 17" bandsaw. When I do tension it, the pointer ends up right off the high side of the little tension scale Grizzly put on the saw. Someday I will get a thinner blade and try it.

Thanks guys. Actually my concern isn't for the saw. I don't know if either of you are familiar with this model, but it's far more substantial than the typical 14" saw-3 hp, 14" resaw cap. The ability to tension a 1" blade seems to be engineered into it. As I said, I purchased a 1" carbon steel blade with it and the results were admirable. So now I'm shopping for carbide, but I'm not sure of the longevity of a blade that thick, running around wheels this small. I don't want to be replacing a $170 band anytime soon. I've heard that most manufacturers recommend that a blade this thick not be run on a saw this small. Laguna seems to feel that it's O.K. Of course, that's for blades that they are selling. FWIW, their Resaw King only comes in at .032", could 3 thou be enough of a difference to be significant?

I just got a 1/2" trimaster for a 14" PM band saw. I was looking at the Resaw king, but the thickness and width were a concern, since it comes in 3/4" Width and .032 thickness. Both for tensioning and the blade possibly breaking on a 14" saw. For the test cuts I have done on 6" wide maple I really like the trimaster. I'm sure on a heftier saw the Resaw King would perform just as well. But I figured why take the chance.

Jeff I'm not familiar with your particular saw but it sounds like the tension you've accounted for. That's only the first obstacle, the second, and the reason some don't recommend wider blades on smaller saws, is as you mentioned the thickness of the blade. The smaller wheels cause the blade to flex much more going around than it would on say a 20" or bigger saw. Therefore you'll probably not get nearly as long a lifespan out if it, metal fatigue will take it's toll. That doesn't mean you can't run thicker blades though. You'll have to try it out for yourself and see if it works for you.
    Alternatively you can try re-sawing with narrower blades to see the difference if any. I've been doing a fair amount of maple re-sawing lately and using a 1/2" blade on my 20" bandsaw with good success. Like anything your going to get a whole bunch of different advice so I suggest using the blades you have and seeing what you prefer before ordering any more.
    good luck,
    JeffD

Jeff, in theory a 1 inch blade will be much stiffer ( in terms of being pushed back against the thrust bearing) than a 1/2 blade but in practice I haven't seen anyone say they have observed results that are any better and most posters say a 1/2 wide blade is plenty, even on a 17 inch or larger saw. I can't honestly say that is true because I don't have a 1/2 and 1 inch blade from the same manufacturer with the same tooth configuration. I can say the 1/2 inch blades I have work very well and that the 1 inch blade I have is a pain to put on and off the saw ( the Grizzly 17 inch 513 x 2 ) , so I very rarely use it.

I have a 1" Resaw King on my 16" Grizzly bandsaw. My saw doesn't have a tension guage. Although I haven't used it extensively, I can say I am really impressed by how smoothly it cuts. It's much better than the woodslicer.

Nelson

I paid big bucks for an 11'9" carbide blade for a 20" bandsaw. It broke at the weld after not much use,and the blade got ruined. I don't advise buying them when you run the risk of weld failure,and could buy several regular blades for the price. Also,carbide blades aren't as sharp as regular blades,and do not cut as well in my opinion.

I have a 14 inch band saw, and I find .035 will difinitely fatigue and break quicker that a .025 on it. Not really a problem otherwise, they just dont last as long. Makes me wish I had a bigger bandsaw .

Jeff,

I have the LT-14SE (less accessorized version of your 14SUV). The widest blade I've had on it is 7/8", and have had no problems with either tensioning or unexpectedly short blade life. That being said, I get better resaw results with a 1/2" blade (seems to be a common theme emerging from responses to this thread).

For some of the other posters (and to reinterate what Jeff said earlier), this is no Delta-clone 14" bandsaw. I'll steal Laguna's picture and attach it here so you can see what this saw looks like (if you aren't familiar with it). I think Laguna's market for this saw is people who would buy a 18" saw, but want to save a little space and still get the same features. Comparing it to other 14" saws is probably only results in accurate comparisons about blade life (because it's still only a 14" wheel that the blade has to bend around). Otherwise, this saw will easily tension and move whatever you want...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a 16" bandsaw, so it is a bit larger wheel than you're talking. However, here's my history with it.

I've had three Resaw Kings (1" or 1.25") on it. I bought the first one very soon after the blade was introduced (maybe eight years ago or so). It work-hardened and died within a year. Laguna replaced it without argument. There were online rumors that they'd had bad lifetimes with the first batch of blades, and they'd changed something about the blade. There was no work hardening of the second or third blades. I sawed with them until they dulled, then sent them to Laguna for re-sharpening. After a half-dozen sharpenings or so, there wasn't enough tooth left to sharpen. When the last one wore out, I bought a Lennox Woodmaster CT. As you say, it does have a band which is slightly thicker than the Resaw King, so in theory it should work-harden faster. I've had it in service for something approaching a year now, and I haven't seen any work-hardening yet.

I have an MM16 and find my 1 inch carbide blade is too big (it would be better suited for an MM20). In addition, I find the 1/2 and 1/4 blades do pretty much everything I need. I doubt I'll ever buy another 1 inch blade for this saw.

Well, the general consensus seems to be that there is none. So I went ahead and ordered a 1" Tri-Master. If it fractures, oh well, I'll just consider it a $150 experiment. Surprisingly, the 1" band is cheaper than any of the thinner bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    IMO, in my experience, and for what it worth, a Timberwolf 0.035" thick 3/4" blade is tto thick for the (or atleast my) Grizzly G0513X2 17" bandsaw. When I do tension it, the pointer ends up right off the high side of the little tension scale Grizzly put on the saw. Someday I will get a thinner blade and try it.
    The frame should be able to handle the blade, but oftentimes the spring is the weak link... replace it with a better one (Iturra Designs have one) if it completely compresses... It could also be why my 18" bandsaw doesn't have a spring, less part to wear out I suppose...

$150 seems cheap for Trimaster... last time I checked it's close to $200 dollars for a trimaster in 133" length.

I just got the woodmaster CT in 1.3 TPI, and it cuts fairly smoothly, if you feed a really thick stock through it. Anything under 3" thick it seems to make rougher cut. I think I'll dedicate this blade for resaw only. On the plus side I end up with much less dust on the table resawing (meaning most of the sawdust ended up in the dust collector).