Thread: Adding start pin to router table plate

Adding start pin to router table plate

All -

I am wanting to add a start pin to my router table insert. Just wondering the most versatile location(s). Any suggestions would be helpful. Perhaps a photo or sketch would be appropriate. I am going to drill & tap the phenolic plate for a 1/4-20 machine screw and use a nylon bushing/spacer.

Thanks -

Cary

Hi, I would locate a start pin about 75mm left and right of the bit centerline, and about 50mm forward of the bit centerline.

Regards, Rod.

P.S Ignore the part about a pin to the left of the cutter, I forgot that routers only run in one direction..Oops.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 07-23-2009 at 5:45 PM. Reason: Added PS

My Rousseau is centered 2.5" away from the center of the collet and 1.25" to the front, on the right side.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 07-23-2009 at 8:58 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Woodpecker PRL is 2-3/4" off center left, right and front. It has a 3-7/8" throat plate (3-9/16 opening) so 1-1/4" is still on the throat plate for me. Depending on your opening it sounds like you've got a ball park in these responses ;-) My pin (and all other plates I've had) runs 1/4" x 20 as you mention but the phenolic makes me nervous. Anyone out there used starting pins in phenolic?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Woodpecker PRL is 2-3/4" off center left, right and front. It has a 3-7/8" throat plate (3-9/16 opening) so 1-1/4" is still on the throat plate for me. Depending on your opening it sounds like you've got a ball park in these responses ;-) My pin (and all other plates I've had) runs 1/4" x 20 as you mention but the phenolic makes me nervous. Anyone out there used starting pins in phenolic?

I have a Rousseau plate that is phenolic, and it came with two different places for a starting pin. It is a drop in pin, not a screw in pin, but I have not had any problems with it. It is about an inch outside the outer ring, which puts it about 3" from the bit.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Thanks guys for the responses!

The plate I've got is the one that came with my saw (previous owner added wooden router table wing). It's just a generic phenolic insert so if drilling and tapping isn't a satisfactory long-term option then I can always aspire to something better. It already has two sets of countersunk holes for different routers so it's not like it's pristine anyway. I've kinda been wanting the Benchdog CI extension wing someday

You've all been great help to me in the few questions I've asked on SMC. What a phenomenal resource! Unfortunately, like Car Talk, this site is "Time Kill Central" and can interfere with work if you aren't careful!