Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tools for sale hmmm I think they are serious

Tools for sale hmmm I think they are serious

Local classified online offer.

The sander is $100 "firm".

The jointer is $50 "firm". The motor is not working and the tool needs some "tinkering".

I can give you the phone number if you like.

Virgil
    Attached Images Attached Images

Aah, the kind of tools that make people leave woodworking.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Some tightwads think they can retire on the most useless junk.

How 'bout pickin' 'em up for me, send them to the shop address, and I'll send the seller a check.......(Yeah, right!)
    Those folks are smokin' sompin'.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Hey, I have that jointer! Seriously, I think its a Craftsman Dunlop from the 1940's (at least mine is). Mine looks a bit better and is not for sale presently, but I paid $50 for it and it was worth every penny. Great little job site jointer for cleaning up a ripped edge, actually does a pretty good job! That one looks line a road hard POS. I keep mine mostly as a mascot to remind me how I started. Also makes a great paper weight on windy days. Some day I will give it to the right owner, somebody interested in small work that needs a solid iron bench top that sets up accurately for fine work. Until then it lives under my RAS.

For sale: vintage Dunlop 4" jointer. Clean, 1/2HP motor presently, original stand, works well. Free to good home, and that price is FIRM!

Land of unloved tools

You know the sad part of this otherwise very funny situation is that at one time in the past, someone bought those tools, adjusted and maintained them and very likely produced work that we'd all admire.

They probably moved on to some other hobby or perhaps even passed away and what we see remained behind.

I don't know why, but those pictures made me laugh out loud, but at the same time wonder about the previous owner.

I'm (only) 44, but I wonder what will happen to my tools when I'm no longer able or willing to use them. Lot's of money and even more time invested. Will they at least be maintained and used by my son (4) or daughter (1) or perhaps sold or given to someone who understands and uses them? Or, will they end up in a dank basement, only to find their way to Craigslist where they become the butt of someone's jokes?

Not trying to flame you here OP as I also think the post is beyond funny. I also share your sense of humor. "Needs tinkering"?!?!?!? For the love of Pete!!!!!

But..., it's also sort of sad when you think about it. Perhaps I'm just too sentimental about our hobby and the tools we use.

Regards,

John
    Last edited by John Harden; 07-24-2009 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Harden View Post
    You know the sad part of this otherwise very funny situation is that at one time in the past, someone bought those tools, adjusted and maintained them and very likely produced work that we'd all admire.

They probably moved on to some other hobby or perhaps even passed away and what we see remained behind.

I don't know why, but those pictures made me laugh out loud, but at the same time wonder about the previous owner.

I'm (only) 44, but I wonder what will happen to my tools when I'm no longer able or willing to use them. Lot's of money and even more time invested. Will they at least be maintained and used by my son (4) or daughter (1) or perhaps sold or given to someone who understands and uses them? Or, will they end up in a dank basement, only to find their way to Craigslist where they become the butt of someone's jokes?

Not trying to flame you here OP as I also think the post is beyond funny. I also share your sense of humor. "Needs tinkering"?!?!?!? For the love of Pete!!!!!

But..., it's also sort of sad when you think about it. Perhaps I'm just too sentimental about our hobby and the tools we use.

Regards,

John
    I know exactly what you are talking about John.
    I keep my tools in good order also.
    And there have been many tools I have rehabilitated and given away just because of the potential they can unlock.

If these tools were free I probably would be pick them up and clean them.
    (They are in a close-by town.)

Heck that might even be the job site jointer I need.

Virgil

Regards,

John

Yikes John! Thats not a good thought to start your day with, the thought of your new Felders rusting away in some damp hole!

Beauty IS in the eyes of the beholder!..and...

Everything is Relative!! (see pic below, bid starts at $50/Buy It Now for $99.00)

That Sears sander may not be worth the effort, BUT that little 4" Delta Homecraft jointer might clean up nicely! And for ONLY $50!!! Depends on how badly you need a jointer! (Sheesh! The blade guard, ball-end lock handle, and nice newer Delta stand are worth more than $50 on eBay!) The motor may only need a new cord or switch and a good cleaning to Work again!

My very first jointer was a 32" short-bed Milwaukee-Delta that I found listed in a bargain paper for $250! The little jointer had a junky wooden stand, and a cobbled-together C-face motor strapped to a piece of plywood. But, it was *light years* ahead of the Crapsman I was familar with, which did not even have an adjustable outfeed table.

I was on a very tight budget during 1985, with a new wife and baby on the way!! There were very FEW used jointers FS *back in the day!* At that time I was GLADDDDD to get that little machine! There was NO eBay or CL! There were the local newspaper want-ads and a regional bargain paper that came out weekly.

I cleaned that little jointer up and used it for 10 years! It taught me HOW to USE a jointer, and work around it's limitations! I edge-jointed a 20' piece of RO on it!

You younger *WhipperSnappers* are spoiled rotten! Every wanna-be woodworker should be made to take an old rusty machine and make it pristine again, to earn his right of passage into the realm of *machinery appreciation!* Whine about UPS busting your Grizzly crate! I hauled my first jointer home in the trunk of a '79 Mustang!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 07-25-2009 at 11:24 AM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Talking

This activity we all share – woodworking – is a big enough tent to accommodate a large diversity of practitioners and opinions. While I respect others who think rookies should not have fancy stuff, I am most emphatically NOT a believer in the start cheap and earn your right to good tools philosophy. My 1st pass at working with wood involved tools that were difficult to use, produced results that did not meet my expectations and at times scared the crap out of me. I finally gave up and for decades spent weekends in other ways before deciding to try again; but with good tools this time. Wow – what a difference that made!!!
    Starting with a tool less than what you think you really need and then upgrading is almost always lots more expensive than buying right the first time. In addition the better tools, in general, have much better guards and safety features than their cheaper brethren – you can’t end up with the 5 hp left tilt sliding table saw you REALLY want if the cheap BORG contractor saw takes your fingers first.
    I also do not understand the philosophy of using cheap tools to work expensive materials. The shop is like the kitchen – the materials used over the years is where the money is. So why would a rational person use a 50$ jointer to surface and edge thousands of dollars of wood when a more expensive jointer would have significantly better results and a lot less wasted stock? But hey – if you like your 50$ jointer, my hat’s off to ya – you are infinitely more patient than I.
    My bottom line – 1. Friends don’t let friends use bad tools & 2. If you have the money, space and power to run it – buy it.

The Homecraft jointer with original stand is a good deal actually.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Bradley; 07-27-2009 at 6:15 PM.

Blog Entries

Regards,

John
    I think the same way when I see a run down house or old rust beater car. At one time they were new and someone was very proud and happy to own them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    Everything is Relative!! You younger *WhipperSnappers* are spoiled rotten! Every wanna-be woodworker should be made to take an old rusty machine and make it pristine again, to earn his right of passage into the realm of *machinery appreciation!* Whine about UPS busting your Grizzly crate! I hauled my first jointer home in the trunk of a '79 Mustang!
    Us young, spoiled "whippersnappers" have grown up in a time of global connectivity which is a double edged sword.Access to people and info is instant and constant. We didn't grow up in an era where all of the stores are closed on Sundays and don't have nearly as much free time. I use my time for my hobbies and family. fixing rusty old neglected equipment is not a necessary rite of passage or a pleasure to me. I've fixed all of my own vehicles (all used) through my 20's so I have some experience. I don't believe that you have to rebuild an engine or transmission to earn the right to drive. Does anyone else think that??
    Gary

"Young whippersnappers"! Remember back in early 80's when B&D sold a work bench you mounted a circular saw in? That was my first table saw. Fancy tools? Some would laugh at my inventory but I understand the sentiment voiced. I have an old delta jointer from the 60's that I have also learned to work around the limitations. As an old mechanic told me years ago when I started. It's not the tools in the box that makes the mechanic (woodworker), it's how they use them. My grandfather was a carpenter who worked out of one tool chest he made. He was a Neander. The only power tool he had was a drill I now have.

It is nice to use or have a 2K tablesaw or 2K bandsaw but IMHO those who can produce with something lesser is just as good as those with all the buzzers and whistles.

Young WhipperSnappers Cease and Desist! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Muto View Post
    Us young, spoiled "whippersnappers" ....didn't grow up in an era where all of the stores are closed on Sundays and don't have nearly as much free time. I use my time for my hobbies and family.
    For 36+ years, from 1971 (age 23) til 2007 (age 60) I never had more free time on weekends wayy back when the stores were closed on Sunday. I was either out of town in a cheap motel, onboard a freight train, or on-call with the railroad 24/7! No regular days off, no double time-and-a-half on holidays! (I always called in sick on Christmas Day!) But the retirement Ain't Too Baad!

fixing rusty old neglected equipment is not a necessary rite of passage or a pleasure to me. I've fixed all of my own vehicles (all used) through my 20's so I have some experience.
    Gary, it may not be necessary, but it sure is an excellent learning experience! I would never advocate trying to make a cheap shoddy tool or machine into something more than it is! I did mention the Crapsman jointers of the day!

In early Biesemeyer literature, Bill Biesemeyer quoted Marcus Aurelius: "Look beneath the surface; let not the quality of a thing nor its worth escape you." The quality is built into that little $50 Delta jointer! The $50 POS that I pictured is certainly not worth OUR time! Back in the day, I cleaned up a solid little Delta/Milwaukee machine that was available, and got every penny's worth I paid out of it and more!

I don't believe that you have to rebuild an engine or transmission to earn the right to drive.
    Let me just say *almost anyone* can pass a Driver's Test! And, there are some really dangerous licensed drivers on our highways! Having the right to do something, and being very proficient at it are two different things! My rite of passage, involved a little more than just ownership! When one takes a machine apart, cleans it, puts it back together and finely adjusts it, it gets personal!

IF Budget is of no consequence, by all means, Buy New! That's what makes our Global Economy go round! But, some simply cannot afford the New Game! Some drive new Escalades! Others buy used Chevys on a budget. Evidently you fixed up cars to drive in your 20s out of need! I totally understand! You paid your dues.

Bottom line is, if *you're gonna Play, you're gonna Pay--one way or the other! One will either learn to do for oneself, at a cost of time and effort, or enjoy paying much more for the privilege of *New*. And, after the warranty has expired, for maintainance and repairs when (not if) they arise.
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 08-03-2009 at 5:10 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!