Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: parallel clamps

parallel clamps

A quick search has me thinking Jet is the favored parallel clamp. Does anyone know first-hand about Woodriver parallel clamps? Also Gramercy Tools is having a sale on aluminmum bar clamps through August, not parallel, but their light weight is a real plus. I have a few Besseys, and like them, but am in the market for more parallel clamps and wanted your opinions.

I have Jets and the clamps from peachtree, parallel pro I thikn. The jets are soooo much better, heavier, larger clamps with apparentloy more clamping force, though I've never measured them. You will not go wrong with Jets.

I have the HF aluminum bar clamps and a bunch of parallel clamps (Jorgensen and Bessey).

If parts fit properly, you should not need a lot of clamping force. If they don't fit, powerful clamps allow you to help things along.

I use both - the parallel clamps to help keep things square, and the bar clamps to provide even clamping pressure along glue lines.

I own Jorgys, Jets, Besseys (K2s, K3s, and now Revos). I find there are times when I like the trigger of the Jet clamps and sometimes I just like the free slide of the Jorgys and others. Usually grab the Jorgys - I have a ton of them because I like the guys that make them.

If you will only own 8 - buy the same brand. If you will own 80 - buy a couple different types.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Bessey K-Body vs Jet

I have a number of Bessey's (k-body and Revo) and like them a lot, but don't have any other brands. How do you compare them against the Jet? I need to get some more and was going to just get Bessey.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    I own Jorgys, Jets, Besseys (K2s, K3s, and now Revos). I find there are times when I like the trigger of the Jet clamps and sometimes I just like the free slide of the Jorgys and others. Usually grab the Jorgys - I have a ton of them because I like the guys that make them.

If you will only own 8 - buy the same brand. If you will own 80 - buy a couple different types.

I think I recall the last time I was at Woodcraft the Woodriver clamps indicated they were mfgrd by Bessey for Woodcraft. Could be wrong, but that is my recollection. Not sure that means anything?!?!

Blog Entries
    I've tried others but have kept the K-bodys. They're lighter, easy to operate and reliable. I don't have any of the Revos and tend to pick up the old style when I find them at a good price. I assume they will eventually be gone ;-(

As stated, if you'll eventually have 80, I would try different ones now to decide for yourself. If you'll only get 8 I (and I'm not you) would get six 24" and two 31" Bessey K-bodys.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Jets are great. The trigger release allows 1 hand adjustment, and does not allow the clamp to free slide and smash your finger. You may or may not want that feature. (free-sliding, not finger-smashing)

As mentioned above, whatever you buy, if you have 8, buy the same brand, if more, buy different ones. They all have different features. None of them are junk.

I've only used Bessey k-body parallel clamps and like them a good deal; others here post similarly positive comments about Jets.

I used Pony pipe clamps, then heavy-duty Jorgensen and Record (T-beam and regular) for years before getting the Besseys, but starting all over I'd load up on Besseys (or Jets, perhaps). I find them more versatile and efficient than the other clamps I've had.

I have Jets and Stanleys. I like them both very much, but reach for the Jets first.

Jet parallel clamps are my first choice.

I have Bessey K-Bodies, Jorgy F-Style bar clamps, Pony 3/4" and 1/2" pipe clamps and quick-grip clamps. I always reach for the Besseys first.

I got a promo e-mail today from Peachtree offering 4 x 15" Bessey Revos at 50% off...I bit.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

I have jets and besseys. the jets have it all over the besseys

Dave

Some mistakes are just too much fun to only make once!

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I think I recall the last time I was at Woodcraft the Woodriver clamps indicated they were mfgrd by Bessey for Woodcraft. Could be wrong, but that is my recollection. Not sure that means anything?!?!
    The old Woodcraft brand was definitely manufactured by Bessey, and they claimed there was no difference except color and possibly the jaws weren't as deep. I assume the rebranded Woodriver are the same.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Definitely FALSE!

The "Woodcraft" clamps were not at all the same as the Bessey K-bodies. While they were technically "manufactured" by Bessey (so the claims said), they were actually made in India while the real Besseys (the better quality red ones) are made in Germany.

I've also seen some complaints here and other forums about the green Woodcraft-Bessey clamps. Can't remember what exactly the complaints were, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kennedy View Post
    The old Woodcraft brand was definitely manufactured by Bessey, and they claimed there was no difference except color and possibly the jaws weren't as deep. I assume the rebranded Woodriver are the same.

Cheers,

Chris
    Last edited by Jason White; 07-24-2009 at 9:15 PM.