Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time with drawers

First time with drawers

Hello All,

I am building some drawers for the first time. These drawers are for the garage. Expecting a heavy load, I purchased 100lb full extention ball bearing side slides by Decorite. I have never done this before and the slides didn't come with instructions, so I had a few questions.

1) How much space do I need to build into the width of the drawer to compensate for the slides? For example, if the space is 24", how wide should my drawer be? I have heard 1/2" per slide (1" total), but I wanted to confirm.

2) Where should the slides be installed on the drawer itself? I thought is should be toward the middle on each side of the drawer, but I am not sure.

3) I purchased 22" slides, and they are actually 21.5" long. I am assuming my drawers should be no more than 21.5", or should I build them a little less deep (shallower?), say, 21"

4) Is there a tutorial on installing these types of drawer slides? I went online and didn't find anything on the manufacturer's web site (Decorite).

5) I am attaching these slides into 3/4 BB ply. No screws were included with the slides. What type of screws should I purchase?

I want to make sure these drawers are the right width and depth the first time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dwain

never done drawer slides, but temp mounting on each side of a scrap would tell you how much to allow.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

I just picked up some 18" full extension slides from the borg. They came with a little instruction manual...mine are 1/2" and they came with screws. Where did you buy yours?

I am having a b***h of a time right now trying to get them all working right and to get the sides of my cabinet all square.

Good luck.
    Greg

1. 1/2" per slide is standard, but measure your slides anyway. I'm not familiar with this brand.

2. Anywhere you want. Most folks put them in the middle. I like to put them 3" up from the bottom. It makes it easier to hold the drawer and manipulate the slide at the same time.

3. Undermount drawer slides need to be an exact length. Side mount drawer slides can mount to any size drawer that fits into the case.

5. Don't remember the size, #6, I think. Undercut head to keep the screw flush with the slide. 5/8" long.

I googled the brand and no installation instructions are to be found. Looking at the slides, they appear to be the same/similar to Accuride 3832. I have attached detailed instructions for the Accuride slides. Use these instructions, should work like a charm for you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Dwain Lambrigger View Post
    Hello All,

I am building some drawers for the first time. These drawers are for the garage. Expecting a heavy load, I purchased 100lb full extention ball bearing side slides by Decorite. I have never done this before and the slides didn't come with instructions, so I had a few questions.

1) How much space do I need to build into the width of the drawer to compensate for the slides? For example, if the space is 24", how wide should my drawer be? I have heard 1/2" per slide (1" total), but I wanted to confirm. 1/2" per side is the industry standard. its ok to be up to 1.5mm short but not bigger.

2) Where should the slides be installed on the drawer itself? I thought is should be toward the middle on each side of the drawer, but I am not sure. first disconnect the slides into 2 pieces. install the larger piece in the cabinet box with the bottom of the slide flush with the bottom of the drawer opening. install the smaller piece flush with the bottom of the drawer. install the drawer. there will be a 3/8" reveal at bottom of drawer as per specs. this method is the most accurate and fastest method and is the standard for commercial shops. however, the slide can be placed anywhere on the drawer side without adversely affecting its operation.

3) I purchased 22" slides, and they are actually 21.5" long. I am assuming my drawers should be no more than 21.5", or should I build them a little less deep (shallower?), say, 21" you can build the drawer box as deep as will fit in the opening but i prefer to build the drawer boxes 22" (for a 22" slide) deep so when fully opened you will have full access to the drawer.

4) Is there a tutorial on installing these types of drawer slides? I went online and didn't find anything on the manufacturer's web site (Decorite). Decorite is a knock off brand made in China so forget the support. however all BB slides are built according to a set of standard dimensions so go to the industry innovator www.accuride.com and follow their install directions.

5) I am attaching these slides into 3/4 BB ply. No screws were included with the slides. What type of screws should I purchase? #6 x 5/8" flat head screw. they are specific to slides so wherever you buy the slides you can buy the screws. you can also find them at most big box stores, online cabinet hardware suppliers and cabinet hardware stores. i like to use a truss head screw but either type works fine.

I want to make sure these drawers are the right width and depth the first time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    build a full scale mockup first to work out the details and eliminate any potential problems. since there is quite a variety of different methods for drawer box construction you should check out FWW about 6 months ago for an in depth article about drawer box construction options.
    Last edited by sean m. titmas; 07-24-2009 at 11:05 PM.
    S.M.Titmas.

"...I had field experience, a vocabulary and a criminal mind, I was a danger to myself and others."

-Anthony Bourdain

How To Attach Slides

1) How much space... how wide should my drawer be?
    Mate both pairs, put both pairs together and place inside the cavity against one of the sides. Measure the distance from the outter one to the opposite side. That's the width of your drawer.

2) Where should the slides be installed on the drawer itself?
    Putting them near the top makes them more visable to the operator. Placing them closer to the bottom makes them less obvious.

3) I purchased 22" ...should I... 21""
    You said they are full extention. Building them 22" will bring the inside back near-flush with the fixed slide's front edge. Building the drawer shallower may cause the slides at the rear, free=floating sections to "twist" over time during full extention loading/unloading and cause premature failure, screws to back out, etc. If you want full access to the drawer, either use full depth sides with the back in inch or so in from the end of the sides (sides extend beyond back), or exchange the slides for over-extension slides.

4) Is there a tutorial...?
    Your best teacher is experience.

5) What type screws?
    Zinc, 5/8 flat head phillips, #6, or as big as fits flush with the slide screw holes. If they sit proud, it will hinder the slide action.

Go work it out and good luck!
    Bob

Thanks for all of the advice! I really appreciate it. I am building the drawers this week and really can't wait to test the first slide. I have nine of them, so I am sure I will get it right eventually...

All good advice above.
    One thing I'd stress tho, I always make my drawer boxes 1/16" (width) smaller than the industry standard.
    So if the frame opening is 24", make the boxes 22 15/16".
    Makes re-installing the drawers easier, slide easier, no binding.

One last question

I thought of one more thing.

I plan on using 1/2 inch BB ply for the boxes. what do you use for the bottoms? Is 1/2 inch overkill?

Thanks again!

I bought mine at a local hardwood dealer in Phoenix. I paid $5.50 per pair. I guess the good deal means I get no screws or instructions. The place I bought from is for professionals, so I guess those types of details are really necessary! Why do you think you are experiencing problems with squaring your cabinet? I know I had a lot of luck the last time I made a toybox, but I haven't tried a cabinet. My drawers are going into a NYW mitre station. No face frames or anything. Let me know if you have any other gems of advice once you get this done. How did you build your drawers?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cuetara View Post
    I just picked up some 18" full extension slides from the borg. They came with a little instruction manual...mine are 1/2" and they came with screws. Where did you buy yours?

I am having a b***h of a time right now trying to get them all working right and to get the sides of my cabinet all square.

Good luck.
    Greg

Is 1/2 inch overkill?
    I'm about to do the same thing and will use 1/4" plywood in 5/16" dados.

1/2" isn't overkill but it's probably not necessary either.

Dwain,

In your OP, you mentioned 22" deep, and 24" wide, heavy duty slides and heavy loads. IMO, 1/4" ply bottoms won't cut it.

I'd go with at least 3/8" (or 11/32, whatever it is now) or 1/2".

Thanks Bill..

I will go with 1/2 all the way around.

Dwain,
    Finally got my drawer slides to go in. The sides of my cabinet were bowing out about 1/4" so the drawer slides would not line up. Once I figured that out I used some clamps to pull it back in...put the drawers in, let the clamps go and wah-lah everything works right now.

I would definatly suggest that you use 1/2" ply if you are thinking of putting anything in there which could weight anything. Better safe than sorry and easier and cheaper to build it in now. $5.50 is pretty good and probably worth no instructions or screws. I think I paid about $15 each for mine but I got instructions and screws.

Once I fix a few...ummm...oversights I will post in the projects forum.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Dwain Lambrigger View Post
    I bought mine at a local hardwood dealer in Phoenix. I paid $5.50 per pair. I guess the good deal means I get no screws or instructions. The place I bought from is for professionals, so I guess those types of details are really necessary! Why do you think you are experiencing problems with squaring your cabinet? I know I had a lot of luck the last time I made a toybox, but I haven't tried a cabinet. My drawers are going into a NYW mitre station. No face frames or anything. Let me know if you have any other gems of advice once you get this done. How did you build your drawers?