Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first rust purchase!!

My first rust purchase!!

Just bought this #4 for $7 - my first purchase of Frankenplane rust! Guys, I have to admit I am scared! The euphoric feelings that came over me were reminiscent of some much earlier times in my life I am afraid I could begin to like this way too much!

I know this means little to anyone else, but I gotta share with someone, and my wife couldn't care less. I think she may be jealous of the feelings that I expressed to her - big mistake

These are some before pics - it will take a couple of posts. Other than a #4 body, that appears to be in good shape (minus the rust), good wood with only a very short and faint vertical hairline crack in the knob - I am not sure what I have. The blade is obviously not original to the plane, and I have never heard of that brand. The lever cap has no markings - not sure what that means??

Anyway, if Jim or others have any thoughts about what type, etc. this is, I would appreciate any comments. The blade, chipbreaker and lever cap appear to be in good condition, except for the apparent lack of lineage. No real pitting on the blade, and although it needs some work on cleanup, I think it will hone out OK.

Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (65.1 KB, 112 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (50.8 KB, 89 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (66.1 KB, 68 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (79.9 KB, 107 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (86.3 KB, 81 views)

And, the other pics. Where is the best place to get Evaporust??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (90.3 KB, 108 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (88.3 KB, 93 views)

Hey John,
    Nice find. I have never heard of that brand of blade. That doesn't mean much, since I have never been accused of being any kind of authority. It may turn out to be quite good, though. You can always replace it with a good LV, LN, or Hock. I just recently got a gallon of Evaporust from O'Rilleys Auto. I think you can find it at most auto stores and Harbor Freight. It is good stuff.
    Ray Binnicker

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    John, I guess I’m just getting lazy but I don’t see the attraction to rehab when there are so many decent #4’s to be had.

I know, I’m a party pooper..
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Bruce, actually I agree with you for the most part. I saw this one, and the wood was good. I figured the tote/knob was worth the $7. I am kind on in a lull right now in the shop. I don't want to start another project until after the WIA, and the next couple of weeks are full of grandkids, daughter visiting, etc. I spent Friday (off work) cleaning in the shop and it is spotless. So, this gives me something to fiddle with for the next few days.

I did kinda like the rush, though!! A moment of weakness - who knows? I blame it all on Jim Koepke!!!!

Ray, thanks for the tip on Evaporust. We have an O'Reilly's.

I would have bought it myself - I need a tote for my vintage Delta tennoning jig and a #4 tote fits perfectly.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I would have bought it myself - I need a tote for my vintage Delta tennoning jig and a #4 tote fits perfectly.
    Sacrilege...pure sacrilege!! Am I at least starting to sound Neander???

Blog Entries
    Looks good John. Sorry to get you into this Fettle of Fish.

The plane looks to be a type 11. Three patent dates, small adjuster nut, short knob.

I have not seen that trade mark on a blade either. That means nothing.

You are correct, a good tote will sell for more than $7. So, you are ahead on that count. The sad part is if you rehab the plane and turn it into a real beauty, it will likely not be sellable to compensate for the time you put into it.

If you are real lucky and do not have to spend anything on parts, you could break even.

But, you can have fun and a learning experience to make a good smoother for use in the shop.

jim

Thanks Jim. I just spent some time on the plane type reference site, and had somewhat concluded that it was an 11. And, normally, I would not want to take away from my shop time for a rehab. But, since this is a lull for me, and the plane was otherwise solid, I thought it would be fun. I hope to get the rust cleaned off, and the blade honed, this weekend. Perhaps even refinish the wood, and then post a follow up pick just for fun.

Besides, this will help fill that new till I made!

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Sacrilege...pure sacrilege!! Am I at least starting to sound Neander???
    You’re getting dangerously close!

Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    John, I guess I’m just getting lazy but I don’t see the attraction to rehab when there are so many decent #4’s to be had.

I know, I’m a party pooper..

I don't know about that. I've tuned a few old Stanleys, but right now I'm working on my first that started out really rusty. I used Evaporust for the smaller parts, and I'm sanding the bottom and sides of the base casting with wet/dry sandpaper.

The Evaporust takes almost all of the work out of derusting the small parts. You just wait until it's done, then rinse and dry. The parts don't come out nice and shiny, though. I'm wondering if light sanding will shine them up, but haven't gotten that far.

Getting the rust off the sides took about 10 minutes, leaving some dark patina. I spent a little more time getting rust and loose paint off of the japaned part. The bottom will be flattened on wet/dry sandpaper, so that time needs to be spent anyway.

So anyway, I'm finding that tuning up a rusty plane takes a couple hours longer than tuning a non-rusty one and maybe $10 in supplies. That seems like a fair trade-off if the plane was $7 (Mine was free. Well, actually inherited from my father-in-law. ).

Jim

My first rust purchase!!

Van Camp was the Van Camp Hardware & Iron Co. in Indianapolis, IN., according to the Roger K. Smith PTAMPIA volume 1. He states they operated, or at least offered planes, from 1910 to 1920, which is consisitent with the dating of your plane. What you have is a Stanley plane with a Van Camp replacement iron ( probably made by Stanley, as well ). I've seen a few other Van Camp tools, but mostly planes with that logo. If Stanley had made the plane for them to sell with their store logo, it would have had a different lateral lever.

Lynn

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    And, the other pics. Where is the best place to get Evaporust??
    Harbor Freight
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

If you will take a brass brush to it when you pull it out of the evaporust it will shine up prety good. I have also had good luck with the green and maroon scotchbright pads mounted on a air grinder.
    Great find Jonh, you cant go wrong with a type 11, thats my favorite.
    Rusty

[QUOTE=John Keeton; I spent Friday (off work) cleaning in the shop and it is spotless. So, this gives me something to fiddle with for the next few days.

John, if your shop is spotless you better takes some pictures, they dont stay that way long ( or at least mine dont )
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired